Joyeux Noel

by Vanderhoven7 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    Merry Christmas everyone!

Our entire family got together this morning to celebrate Christmas. I started by reading Luke 2, the shepherds story. I then said, "Jesus came to conquer the world... with the greatest weapon of all." I asked if anyone knew what that weapon was. Little Shanley, our 6 year old granddaughter, said she knew. "It's love", she responded.

That just about made my day! 😊

Hope you all don't mind if I include here the third section of the Christmas message I gave to a group of Seniors a week ago.
    Here it is:

"Christmas is a call to wonder to worship and to witness.

We are to be faithful to the Christmas call …. but there are some today who fail to answer the Christmas call. There's some even religious people who are Christians but refuse to celebrate Christmas. They actually think it is unchristian to celebrate his birth. They often say December 25th was originally celebrated by pagans.

But who cares what day pagans celebrated on or what they celebrated about. We don't care if the the devil himself claims a day. We can reclaim the day. Let's reclaim December 25th and every other day of the year. Let's reclaim the days of the week and the months of the year named after pagan deities. We can witness by celebrating the birth of Christ every day of the year to the glory of God.

And not only the birth of Christ. We can celebrate every event in the life of Christ. We can celebrate his birth, we can celebrate his holy and sinless life, we can celebrate his death, his resurrection from the dead, his ascension to the right hand of God where his glory was restored and our salvation secured. We celebrate his coming, we celebrate his miracles, his healings, his power over nature. We celebrate his power over sin and his victory over the devil...because that's our victory as well.

Christian believers have celebrated Christmas down the ages and we will continue celebrating Christmas till Jesus comes. We will never be ashamed to witness about his birth. We are not ashamed of the life of Christ, his grace, his power, his words, his works and the destiny his love has secured for us.

Let us continue to answer the Christmas call; to wonder at his love, worship him for it and witness his love to others. To God be the glory!"

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Just a thought .......

Oh yes and Happy Christmas to all who celebrate this day

The ancient Christians used Dec.25 because it was at one time previously a celebratory day the Romans practiced cerebrating the pagan god Saturnalia.

WHAT IS SATURNALIA?

Saturnalia, the most popular holiday on the ancient Roman calendar, derived from older farming-related rituals of midwinter and the winter solstice, especially the practice of offering gifts or sacrifices to the gods during the winter sowing season.

The pagan celebration of Saturn, the Roman god of agriculture and time, began as a single day, but by the late Republic (133-31 B.C.) it had expanded to a weeklong festival beginning December 17. (On the Julian calendar, which the Romans used at the time, the winter solstice fell on December 25.)

HOW THE ROMANS CELEBRATED SATURNALIA

During Saturnalia, work and business came to a halt. Schools and courts of law closed, and the normal social patterns were suspended.

People decorated their homes with wreaths and other greenery, and shed their traditional togas in favor of colorful clothes known as synthesis. Even slaves did not have to work during Saturnalia, but were allowed to participate in the festivities; in some cases, they sat at the head of the table while their masters served them.

Instead of working, Romans spent Saturnalia gambling, singing, playing music, feasting, socializing and giving each other gifts. Wax taper candles called cerei were common gifts during Saturnalia, to signify light returning after the solstice.

On the last day of Saturnalia celebrations, known as the Sigillaria, many Romans gave their friends and loved ones small terracotta figurines known as signillaria, which may have referred back to older celebrations involving human sacrifice.

Saturnalia was by far the jolliest Roman holiday; the Roman poet Catullus famously described it as “the best of times.” So riotous were the festivities that the Roman author Pliny reportedly built a soundproof room so that he could work during the raucous celebrations.

TEMPLE OF SATURN AND OTHER SATURNALIA CUSTOMS

Constructed in the fourth century A.D. to replace an earlier temple, the Temple of Saturn in Rome served as the ceremonial center of later Saturnalia celebrations. On the first day of the festivities, a young pig would often be publicly sacrificed at the temple, which was located in the northwest corner of the Roman Forum.

The cult statue of Saturn in the temple traditionally had woolen bonds tied around his feet, but during Saturnalia these bonds were loosened to symbolize the god’s liberation.

In many Roman households, a mock king was chosen: the Saturnalicius princeps, or “leader of Saturnalia,” sometimes also called the “Lord of Misrule.” Usually a lowlier member of the household, this figure was responsible for making mischief during the celebrations—insulting guests, wearing crazy clothing, chasing women and girls, etc.

The idea was that he ruled over chaos, rather than the normal Roman order. The common holiday custom of hiding coins or other small objects in cakes is one of many dating back to Saturnalia, as this was a method of choosing the mock king.

IS CHRISTMAS A PAGAN HOLIDAY?

Thanks to the Roman Empire’s conquests in Britain and the rest of Europe from the second century B.C. to the fourth century A.D.—and their suppression of older seasonal rites practiced by the Celts and other groups—today’s Western cultures derive many of their traditional celebrations of midwinter from Saturnalia.

The Christian holiday of Christmas, especially, owes many of its traditions to the ancient Roman festival, including the time of year Christmas is celebrated. The Bible does not give a date for Jesus’ birth; in fact, some theologians have concluded he was probably born in spring, as suggested by references to shepherds and sheep in the Nativity story.

But by the fourth century A.D., Western Christian churches settled on celebrating Christmas on December 25, which allowed them to incorporate the holiday with Saturnalia and other popular pagan midwinter traditions.

Pagans and Christians co-existed (not always happily) during this period, and this likely represented an effort to convince the remaining pagan Romans to accept Christianity as Rome’s official religion.

Before the end of the fourth century, many of the traditions of Saturnalia—including giving gifts, singing, lighting candles, feasting and merrymaking—had become absorbed by the traditions of Christmas as many of us know them today.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Thanks Finkelstein

Excellent lesson in ancient history.

However i believe that what pagans did on any day back then has no bearing on my celebrating the birth of the Lord Jesus Christ today.

All the best to you and yours.

• waton
    waton

where do the mistletoes fit in?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And so what if Christmas is actually a sun-worship festival, and "Christ" in fact references the Sun? Without the sun, we wouldn't be here at all.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

And a merry Xmas to you Vanderhoven7 ,doesnt everything evolve ? The majority of people ,well a vast large number at least are not practicing Christians ,never set foot in a church or even watch televangelism and yet they will celebrate Xmas ,does that make them ,us hypocrites ? I dont believe so because on the one hand Xmas is a religious festival for many but on the other hand for others it has become just a time when families can come together with food/ drink and celebration and the exchanging of gifts ,which children particulary enjoy .

And lets face it if you asked a child what does xmas mean to them they would say "getting presents " not even giving presents and no mention of Jesus.

They grow up to be adults and the religious aspect has no meaning its just getting together with family and friends and enjoy food and drink and association with each other and giving presents .

Its a time of fellowship.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

As history shows it looks the Roman rulers and governors of that civilization converted the festival of Saturnia to the festival and celebration of Christ's birth onto Dec.25.

A psychological and sociological couching people away from paganism to the newly established theological practice of Christianity.

Birthdays were celebrated to special identities like kings or certain gods by the ancients of Middle Eastern civilizations, even supposedly Jesus's birth.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SMIDDY3:

I agree that Christmas is a time for fellowship regardless of what religion.

Remember:.the real reason the Witnesses don’t want people to celebrate holidays is because they don’t want JWs spending time with non-JW friends and relatives. The religion is afraid if the JW receives love and acceptance from people who aren’t judging them..they won’t want the religion anymore!

The ‘pagan’ thing is just a convenient excuse for the religion’s REAL intent - to isolate their followers..Everything in the world is pagan: the days of the week, etc.

My first act when I ‘faded’ from the JWs was to re-establish contact with relatives before it was too late and I’m so glad I did.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Merry Christmas Vanderhoven7, and thank you. It's comforting to read posts like this as a secret Christian / JW PIMO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit