J.W`s Taking the Oath To Tell The Truth on The Bible / Affirmation

by smiddy3 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

How outdated is the compulsion of people before the law courts of the land to take an oath on the Bible to /swear on the Bible to tell the truth and nothing but the truth so help me God.or its equivalent affirmation.?

And even if you do claim to believe in God but feel giving information to those who don`t deserve it then withholding such information is justified as Theocratic Warfare deliberately misleading those seeking such information.

If you don`t believe in a God ,you can lie all you like .

And in the case of Geoffrey Jackson at the A.R.C. into Institutions of Child Sexual Abuse ,he had no problem misleading ,another word for lying to the A.R.C. in giving evidence while under oath.

Neither did Vincent Toole the Jehovah`s Witness lawyer who gave misleading evidence.

Yes Geoffrey Jackson did take the oath and swore on the Bible to tell the truth and nothing but the truth ,whereas some other J.W.`s giving evidence at that same A.R.C. took the option to take an Affirmation to tell the truth.

Yet one and all they never spoke the honest truth ,trying to rationalize how they acted to the detriment of the children they were supposed to be protecting.

I don`t know how they live with themselves .

{ I thought they all spoke the same }

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I remember about a year ago I was having a solicitor countersign a legal document and she said I'd need to swear some sort of oath on my "holy book". I chose the Quran. She obviously knew I wasnt Muslim and likely saw that it was all bollocks having to do it in the first place. Then I had to put my hand on it and read aloud from a piece of paper which said "I swear on <holy book name> that the statement I present is factual and true".

Of course I may have well have made an oath on the Chronicles Of Narnia for all it meant to me.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy
    A verbal oath isn't worth the paper it's written on!
  • AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

@Pale. Chronicles of Narnia. Brilliant!

I’d prefer the Charter of The United Federation of Planets (from Star Trek)!

Joking aside though, the actual Greek word for “holy” just means “different” as something that stands out from all the rest. For example: The first century Jewish Temple was holy because it was different from all other buildings.

Therefore, you could well swear on the Chronicles of Narnia if it was a book that in your view was different to all the rest and you valued it as it would be “holy” in the original Greek context compared to other books in your collection.

Cool, right?!

• nugget
    nugget

In the UK you can swear and affirm to tell the truth as an alternative to swearing on a holy book. At the end of it all people will still lie if they think they can get away with it.

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

I was sitting thinking about this the other night. If someone doesn't believe in the bible and god then do they swear on the bible because it doesn't mean anything to them?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

A person who does`nt believe in the Bible opts for the alternative to give an affirmation to tell the truth and if they are exposed as having lied while giving such testimony they can be charged with perjuring themselves .

And in the case of Geoffrey Jackson ,Vin Toole and the other Elders giving testimony ,how does an inquiry such as the A.R.C. distinguish if a person gives misleading information regarding religious beliefs/interpretations and practices ?

So they get away with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit