I could sue the WTBTS

by shattered_origins 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• shattered_origins
    shattered_origins

@capytan, @Simon, @Finklestein

He told the Elders he took a guilty plea to "save me" from the agony of a trial. How kind of him. If he wanted to save me he should've killed himself.

I'm not actually going to pursue legal action. My parents are still hardcore jdubs and don't know I'm fading out and don't plan on raising my son in their religion. For now they think I'm busy with the baby and can't get to meetings. If I were to sue the WTS they'd probably fall over dead from shock over my blasphemous behavior.

• Simon
    Simon
    I'm not actually going to pursue legal action. My parents are still hardcore jdubs ...

At some point you have to live your own life and put yourself first. You need to do what is right for you and not what you think is right for someone else who's likely being heavily controlled but the same group who's policies led to the issues.

I know we all think we owe our parents something. I think it's the other way round - they make choices as parents that impact their children. I'm there for my kids as I'm sure you are for yours.

• never a jw
    never a jw
    Agree 100 % with Simon. You are a new generation whose first obligation is to the coming generations, not to the previous one. Give a better world to your children. Suing the WT is a big and hard to make decision that should be based on how it benefits the younger generations, more than the older ones.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

Shattered - have you considered that your assailant has more than likely attacked other kids since then? According to experts, the vast majority of perverts will continue to abuse children.

You may just help other victims to come forward and nail the scumbag. It will justify your fade as well.

• Simon
    Simon

Just one thing to point out that may be important in this. I know this might sound harsh, I'm just trying to be realistic.

Is the WTS really responsible for the abuse? If they knew of and covered up previous abuse by the same person or the person could only abuse you because of failure by the religion to protect you as they should then I think they would be guilty and have something to pay for but if your complaint is that they didn't punish the person enough after the fact then I think that is unlikely to be successful in any claim.

If, as The Search points out, that person went on to abuse someone else after they were aware of your abuse and because they failed to act to warn or protect others then that person would likely have more of a claim.

Would an employer by guilty for instance for not firing them or a library for not banning them? Believing the WTS has to hand out punishment is really re-living the belief that they hold the keys to salvation. They just don't. The WTS are not responsible for punishing people but they should be held to account for policies that put children at risk and allowing known abusers subsequent access to other children.

The courts hand out punishment and it sounds like the court found him guilty (you don't say what punishment he received - it sounded like there wasn't any prison time?)

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It bares to keep in mind that the Candace Conti case succeeded in showing that the WTS was libel or at fault for not giving notice to the congregation where Candace was or all the parents there that a new attending individual has had previous problems with pedophilia and because of that the courts found the WTS. irresponsible and at fault.

It would be an idea to at least approach a law firm about your particularity situation and see if these a plausible foundation for a court case against the WTS.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, without someone investigating other possible cases against someone it's impossible to know if you might have a claim because they had already covered up something else previously.

I thought this was the issue with Candace - they knew the person was an abuser and not only did they fail to warn people but they specifically recommended him to "work with children" thus putting them at risk.

The WTS isn't automatically guilty just because someone commits a crime who happens to be a JW. They are guilty when they have some direct part to play in it being able to occur and of course morally culpable if the atmosphere encourages dangerous situations (e.g. promoting blind obedience of children to elders).

• shattered_origins
    shattered_origins

No, there was no prison time. As traumatic as the experience was, the crimes he was found guilty of, did not warrant jail time if he pled out. You are right about Conti, the elders knew about her abuser's history, and it was a much different scenario. The bastard who hurt me, his wife used to babysit an infant girl and I remember him telling me he changed her diaper and described to me her "cute little peach." Even if he didn't touch that baby who the FUCK says that about a baby's genitals? There was also another girl in the church that he showered with gifts and letters before moving on to me. He also made advances towards my older sister. I'm positive I wasn't the only one, but I don't have any hard evidence other than circumstantial gut feelings. I don't know what happened to him after he was reinstated, if he befriended another girl, because they live in another county. After my awakening and research, my emotional reaction was I should sue, but now that I've cooled off and thought rationally, I don't think I have a case and I don't want to sue bad enough to hire legal help to find out if I do.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    You may not have a case, but others may because of you. If you can find others who told elders before he abused you, you might have a case. As we know now, likely not. If he has moved, you may want to inform his current local justice authorities and elder body of his history. As a matter of conscience and as a concerned citizen. They can't play clueless ever again

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit