"Dallas" television show

by BluesBrother 5 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Does anyone remember the WTS polemics against this programme ? I mean JR , Bobby Ewing and Southfork - see quote from Awake April april 22nd 1982 :-

*** g82 4/22 30 Watching the World ***

"Dallas" in Africa

รณ
    A popular American television series that features sex and treachery recently began airing in South Africa, prompting the news headline: "Dallas Turns Lounge Into Brothel." Die Vaderland reported that "meetings are cut short and visits cancelled all because of Dallas." The newspaper quoted a member of Action Moral Standards as saying: "We in South Africa are facing a huge social problem, with a rape every three minutes, and in Dallas it is presented as something normal. It can cause a sick person to feel that it is normal and that he can do it too. . . . The people must wake up. The SABC [South African Broadcasting Corporation] is turning our lounges into brothels."

I believe this to be the only popular programme singled out and named as bad entertainment. .. The congregation was divided into a) the theocratic majority who put on their halo's and immediately stopped watching or claimed they never did.. and b) the few brave souls who became closet Dallas fans watching in secret behind closed curtains - unable to share the guilty secret except with trusted family or very close friends.

Personally I never could see the harm in it . It was no worse than any other programme and we watched it regularly until interest waned after several series.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Oh yeah we used to watch Dallas, elder Daddy did too.

We used to watch the Dukes of Hazzard, then Falcon Crest , then Dallas,,,,,,,,,,,I loved them all.

I am still surprized that my dad let us watch it. He had a big construction company, and he was the BOSS as his tshirt said . Back in the 80's remember how popular those tshirt shops were in the malls, you could pick whatever you want to go on your personalized tshirt. Well anyway, my dad was into POWER big time, he had power in the congregation, power at home and power in his business.

He thought he was freakin JR Ewing,,,,,,,,,,even dressed liked him and ate his business lunches our town's version of the Cattlemen's Club.

I actually loved the idea that my dad would watch a night time soap opera with us, because he hated it when I would watch them with my grannie when she came over. He wouldnt say a word to me about it because his mother , whom he adored loved them so much. I would just sit smuggly next to her on the couch and rebel my father in any little way I could.

Thinking about some of those times watching TV, were some of the only times my family seemed normal , and Daddy seemed to be relaxed and Mama wasnt all doped up for the night on the nights Dallas came on.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    with a rape every three minutes, and in Dallas it is presented as something normal

You know considering the Society's attitude toward and treatment of rape victims, it strikes me as the height of arrogance and hypocrisy to use this quote to bash some melodramatic overacted TV show.

It's funny, but I live about 3 miles down the road from South Fork, where the show is based and I don't see any wild orgies happening here in Murphy, Texas.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Boy did I love watching Dallas during its heyday. The production company would roll into Dallas once a year and film all their exterior scenes in the hot Texas sun for the new season. I loved watching that show, every Friday night. BUT I loved it's sister show even more: Knots Landing. Everyday Thursday night, I would be at my sister's house and watch it with her. Those were the 80's!

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Dynasty Ruled!!!

Nothing like a good cat fight....

I could knock on doors with my shoulder pads; ala Lynda Evans.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

And I had really BIG hair! Blond, curled and past my shoulders. I'll have to post before and after photos one of these days!

I never saw the "Dallas" crew shooting (though I worked downtown at the time in what was supposed to be J.R.'s building), but I did see part of Oliver Stone's movie about John Kennedy's asassination being filmed -- it was the motorcade scene, and it was really fun to watch. I also ran into Chuck Norris' crew shooting "Walker, Texas Ranger" a few times. Rumor has it a full-length movie of "Dallas" is in the works, so we may have some excitement out our way one of these days.

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit