Remember the First "Young People Ask..." VHS?

by Cimarrona 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cimarrona
    Cimarrona

Do y'all remember the young people ask tape that came out in the late 90s about "bad association"? I was a fairly small child with teenage siblings and watched it often (with family and alone cause I thought it was the inside scoop on older kids). That was back when worldly was still very much so a part of dubspeak (I think they started encouraging people to stop saying it in the mid to late 2000s). Anyway, I've had JWs treat me a million times worse than any of the "bad" kids in that movie, before and after I faded. There was a convention right after I left and my absence was noted; you wouldn't believe how many ministerial servants and regular pioneers, single/dating/married, propositioned me via text! As if being a woman outside of their religion meant I was just open to having sex with whomever whenever whatever. IT WAS WILD. But that VHS was hilarious.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Yes I do. I also heard the JW urban legend that the main actor and actress were never alone in the car, but we're looking at a sheet with holes cut out for the eyes. Stupid, I know. But JWs have a tendency to believe, repeat and propagate stupid things.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

The format YPA was not bad at all, at that moment in time, was my opinion. Just like the book about all world religions (that never made it to the bookstudy... because of reasons). Both books, with the Greatest Man book, were refreshing to me, after all the Fred Franz oracle books.

I think, at the end of the 80's and beginning of the 90's, it was not bad to have this information... some topics I never dare to think of (:

G.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I remember it.

First thing that struck me was "wow, American kids really dress like that in school? Hey, what's he got on his head?"

Here in Liverpool, UK if you dressed or acted like that in high school you'd get the living s^it kicked out of you by lunchtime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVkSHt9X8IY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit