are JW's classist?

by Azalo 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Azalo
    Azalo

Is it just coincidence or do JW's seem to prefer members to be of at least middle class standing. I cant think of one brother who had to struggle to make ends meet who became an elder or MS. In fact it seems like those ones were often viewed as weak. any thoughts?

• rebel
    rebel

Azalo,

They most definitely are classist where I come from. The only elders we have are extremely affluent. The working-class don't seem to get a look in. That's another reason why elders find it so hard to identify with the average JW - they live in a different world (at least in my old congregation)

Also, the wealthy only seem to mix with the wealthy and those of us who are further down the financial ladder stick together. Like attracts like. All this talk about being one brotherhood is just a fairy tale.

xxR

• scotsman
    scotsman

Mmmm...

The elders in my congregation were mostly working class and are not affluent, but just as many cultures are hierarchical, so are the Witnesses and those with similar incomes do tend to stick together.

• berylblue
    berylblue

In my first congregation, no. Everyone was pretty bad off financially.

In my second one, absolutely. If you didn't have money or relatives in that congregation, you didn't have a prayer.

Beryl

• berylblue
    berylblue

In my first congregation, no. Everyone was pretty bad off financially.

In my second one, absolutely. If you didn't have money or relatives in that congregation, you didn't have a prayer.

Beryl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit