Sundays Watchtower Study Jan 11th 2015

by anonread 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• anonread
    anonread
    Did anyone go to meeting Sunday? I'm curious about how the 'We Must Be Holy' Watchtower went and what the comments were like, especially in regards to disfellowshipped family members.
  • sir82
    sir82

I think the one on DFing is next week.

This week's was all about "abstaining from blood".

• anonread
    anonread
    @sir82 Thanks, I didn't realize that. I'd like to listen in on it. Do you know of anyone that has a phone login? 
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    During all the righteous blood comments I leaned over to my spouse and said "you know breast milk has white blood cells in it right?". I paid for that with hostility as usual lol.
  • leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I kept thinking about this passage at Matthew 12:1-12

At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples got hungry and started to pluck heads of grain and to eat. 2 At seeing this, the Pharisees said to him: “Look! Your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath.” 3 He said to them: “Have you not read what David did when he and the men with him were hungry? 4 How he entered into the house of God and they ate the loaves of presentation, something that it was not lawful for him or those with him to eat, but for the priests only? 5 Or have you not read in the Law that on the Sabbaths the priests in the temple violate the Sabbath and continue guiltless? 6 But I tell you that something greater than the temple is here. 7 However, if you had understood what this means, ‘I want mercy and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless ones. 8 For the Son of man is Lord of the Sabbath.”
    9 After departing from that place, he went into their synagogue, 10 and look! there was a man with a withered hand! So they asked him, “Is it lawful to cure on the Sabbath?” so that they might accuse him. 11 He said to them: “If you have one sheep and that sheep falls into a pit on the Sabbath, is there a man among you who will not grab hold of it and lift it out? 12 How much more valuable is a man than a sheep! So it is lawful to do a fine thing on the Sabbath.”

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Just read the WT article.

The comment at the WT Study will just be "cut & paste" from the article.

No one has anything original to add.  It's not appreciated anymore anyway.

Doc

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

I turned to my wife during the magazine study to ask her why Jesus asked his disciples to symbolically drink his blood yet the WTS asks it's members to abstain physically. Symbolic versus Literal = same thing.

The look on her face was priceless.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Your crucial error is to assume that there is any critical thinking going on at the Watchtower study. There is none, so if you are looking for a reaction you will be disappointed.

The only reaction will be... "what a wonderful study."  Don't ask any follow up questions, because they won't even remember what the study was about. Perhaps they will remember that little Suzie made her first comment. Other than that - nothing.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    My wife has the info for our KH. I'll post it tomorrow. 
  • Half banana
    Half banana

@Tenacious, there were many christ-cults in the first century. Since the particular christian cult which much later became the dominant one needed to absorb and adopt the salient beliefs from all the other christ- cults for the sake of mass support, this necessarily included many incompatible beliefs.

The Jewish prohibition on blood was not compatible with the borrowed Mithraic doctrines of cleansing through blood. In Mithraic practice this meant standing under a grating in the underground temple or Mithreum whilst the blood of a slaughtered bull rained down on the supplicants who stood beneath with mouths wide open. The Christian faith was cobbled together from many pagan sources especially Mithraism in its effort to be catholic or all embracing. Eventually the Jesus christ-cult got the ascendency which was then funded for political leverage by Constantine in the fourth century.

The familiar first century Christianity story as projected backwards by JWs and modern Christians is mainly a myth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit