Remember Your First Taste of Freedom?

by Funchback 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• Funchback
    Funchback

It's around 10AM here in the northeast of Brazil. I have just finished having coffee and a light breakfast. I am reflecting on my Saturdays of JW past, where I would be just about ready to leave the morning field service group and go door-knocking.

Honestly, I hated every second of field service, always keeping one eye on the clock, counting down the minutes until service would be over.

12 years later since I last "preached", I am also reflecting on the sense of freedom I experienced (and still experience) when I definitively said "No more!" to being a WT slave. This meant no more field service, no more meetings, assemblies and conventions, no more faking, no more wasted time and energy on all things Watchtower... unless it's to help others escape.

Leaving the Watchtower comes with casualties for everyone who takes the bold step of exiting this religion. At minimum you'll lose so-called friends, which stings initially, but as you gradually distance yourself from indoctrination, you'll realize all of them were conditional friends. And, along the way, you gain real friends "in the world", who will do more for you (and you for them) than you probably had ever experienced from JW land.

At most (and at worst) you'll lose family members. This is the hardest obstacle to overcome in order to experience true freedom. Some will lose mothers, others sons, and others siblings. I have lost my older brother.

Here's how I made my decision easier: Imagine you and your family members are locked in a tight cage. You personally feel like you are losing your mind but your relatives are content, happy even, to being restricted to life in a cage. They feel protected. You, on the other hand, feel anxiety. You feel like you can't breathe. You are scared because everyone in the cage tells your the warden will kill you if you try to leave. Your cage mates also threaten to never speak to you again if you leave even if the angry warden somehow doesn't kill you.

You often call out to the warden to ask him some questions. Yet, he never talks to you. He merely has left you a book that is impossible to truly understand what it is that he is demanding of you.

You come to realize that he has never locked the cages. So, you have to decide: see what exists beyond the cage or stay put out of fear, obligation or guilt.

I chose to leave the cage. I looked everywhere for the warden. 12 years later, I still haven't found him. I have concluded that he probably doesn't exist.

I often walk by the cages and tell my family and former friends that the warden hasn't destroyed me. In fact, I tell them that life is amazingly great beyond the cage. Yet, they say nothing to me. They ignore me, in fact. I pity them but I have done my part by living a truly happy life.

I am happy to have chosen freedom over being a people-pleaser, no matter the casualties.

I will always remember how it felt to be free for the first time.

• freddo
    freddo

Powerful analogy.

• longgone
    longgone

I was also thinking about Saturday field service this morning. How up until about a year ago that meant either going out and hating it, or feeling guilty for not going!

It's a warm and sunny day here in the Midwest USA. I'm looking forward to spending time with my never were, or ex-jw family. Wishing a great Saturday to everyone! 😎

• Simon
    Simon

That's a great analogy - it is a self-imposed captivity, helped by previous inmates who've been in a long time.

I can't imaging having the time to spend going to meetings or on field-service - it really is a treadmill. No wonder people are tired and can't think straight about the state they are in.

• Funchback
    Funchback

longgone

2 hours ago2 hours ago

I was also thinking about Saturday field service this morning. How up until about a year ago that meant either going out and hating it, or feeling guilty for not going!

Yes!!! Going out and hating it...or feeling guilty for not going. <--So true!

• Chook
    Chook

Just not to ever put a business suit on is heaven and to throw them in the bin divine. I should of donated them to bethel with hidden reading material.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I can't imagine having the time to spend going to meetings or on field-service - it really is a treadmill. No wonder people are tired and can't think straight about the state they are in......Simon

Image result for businessman in hamster wheel

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FUNCHBACK:

I'm glad you got out of the cage.

In my case, it was regaining the freedom I once had before I lost my mind and got involved with the Jehovah's Witness religion... However, I wasn't entirely to blame since they lied like hell about everything.

But, I got my mind back and glad to be out and free, but what a lesson learned!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And no midweek field circus. I want to listen to my own music, I can. I want to put up some sun worship decorations, I will if I feel like it. If I feel like relaxing instead of being in field circus during the week, I will.

It also saves money--how much is wasted on gas, vehicle maintenance, suit maintenance, poisonburgers, and field circus supplies during the month? I would rather do with that money as I see fit, the same as with my time. Not having it donated to the goal of enslaving the whole human race--and not having all that psychic energy drained so joke-hova can use it to ruin the earth.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Great analogy. Thanks for sharing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit