Paranoia and Delusion.

by Lost in the fog 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

OK so I know that this is a very long article about mental illness issues, but it was the definitions at the start of the discussion which reminded me of the WT organisation. See if you agree.

Paranoia:

1. Mental illness characterized by systematized delusions of persecution or grandeur usually without hallucinations

2. A tendency on the part of an individual or group toward excessive or irrational suspiciousness and distrustfulness of others

Delusion:

1. Something that is falsely or delusively believed or propagated.

https://drmelissawelby.com/3-types-of-paranoia-what-does-paranoia-mean/

• PhillipThomas
    PhillipThomas

It's not paranoia if it's ACTUALLY happening.

• PhillipThomas
    PhillipThomas

People keep telling me I'm paranoid...but I know THEY are watching me...I am scared and don't know where to turn...I'm alone and need help.

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf

Are you taking adderall or any type of amphetamines? Google schitzophrenia.

Some people have it and some people it's a side effect of medications. Here is how you can tell if you have it or not.

Think very logically of what is making you think you are being watched. Very rationally.

Why would any JW's concern themselves so much about you? They have their own lives to deal with. Being in the religion, those who need help or weak, usually nobody has time for them, let alone one who is leaving on their own.

If your feelings have no logical basis, then it may be schitzophrenia. It will feel very real to you but when the medication is stopped or it's corrected, you'll realize how off you were.

But worse case scenario, JW religion is not one that they abduct people and FORCE them to do anything. The worst is family/friends turn their back on you. If you don't have those in it or you don't care, then nothing to worry about at all.

• caves
    caves

I've known many jws that were paranoid. Hallucinations of the devil etc. I don't think it's jw specific.

Cognitive dissonance can cause paranoia and psychosis.

My bio mother has schizophrenia.(exjw) One minute acts like an angel. One minute sees one. Acts like the devil. Claims demons are attacking her. Then suddenly everything is ok. She is an absolute handful and then some. I will say that her being shunned and being the original scapegoat of the jw family didn't help one bit. It exacerbated it. I wish I could have helped her. But I cant make her take her medication.

My great aunt that raised me was paranoid. My bio moms sister has had hallucinations of demons. My ex wife. Gezz, lots of jws now that I think of it. I really think it has a lot to do with cognitive dissonance and a guilty conscience per jw 'rule breaking' and trauma. They make you, 'indoctrinate you' to fear so many 'normal' things.

Still, I don't feel its jw specific. But they certainly don't help.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

A long ago elder friend told me the policy was to disfellowship the bad personality. No steering them to help, and certainly not inform the congregation.

Better not have any mental bad genes, or develop dementia. Usual love

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit