PRP (platelets) injections, are they effective? Do they REALLY work?

by Fisherman 8 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Since health insurance doesn’t pay for PRP injections, I am skeptical about it’s efficacy. Obviously if this treatment was necessary, it would be paid by health insurance. Don’t know much about PRP except that the physician extracts blood from the patient and concentrates the platelets from the blood then injects the medicine into the affected site in the body to speed up healing of a torn ligament for example.

I saw an interesting statement in wt online site saying or implying that sub major components might be a personal decision and also using one’s own blood may be a personal decision, if I understood the information correctly.

• TD
    TD

Multiple studies have shown its efficacy for osteoarthritis in the knee

Here's a good example

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33523756/

--Not a "conscience matter" AFAIK, but I would be most interested to learn otherwise.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

PRP injections seemed to be a promising in patients with osteoarthritis, tendon and muscle injuries but the medical literature doesn't really support it and there is no solid evidence that PRP works any better than placebo. At least this is what I've learned from medical journals I've consulted.

Anecdotally, I heard someone at my place of work had a PRP injection in the knee. It was very painful and failed to give the person the pain relief hoped for.

As to whether the witnesses would accept this type of treatment, I would have to say no since this is an injection of whole blood.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Ive had one and I believed it helped. It was a joint problem. I was skeptical at first too.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    As to whether the witnesses would accept this type of treatment, I would have to say no since this is an injection of whole blood.

It is autologous blood fraction.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

TD

lv p 216

“A Christian must decide for himself how he will allow his own blood to be handled in the course of a surgical procedure. The same applies to medical tests and current therapies that involve extracting a small amount of one’s own blood, perhaps modifying it in some way, and then reinjecting it.”

wt 6/15/2006

Just as blood plasma can be a source of various fractions, the other primary components (red cells, white cells, platelets) can be processed to isolate smaller parts. For example, white blood cells may be a source of interferons and interleukins, used to treat some viral infections and cancers. Plateletscan be processed to extract a wound-healing factor. And other medicines are coming along that involve (at least initially) extracts from blood components. Such therapies are not transfusions of those primary components; they usually involve parts or fractions thereof. Should Christians accept these fractions in medical treatment? We cannot say. The Bible does not give details, so a Christian must make his own conscientious decision before God.

Enjoy life forever p163

What about the medical use of blood? Some procedures clearly violate God’s law. These include the transfusion of whole blood or any of its main components​—red cells, white cells, platelets, and plasma. Other medical procedures may not be a clear-cut violation of God’s law. For example, some procedures involve the use of fractions of one of the main components of blood. Other procedures involve the use of a person’s own blood. When weighing these options, each of us must make a personal decision.

• TD
    TD

The problem here is whole platelets removed from the body

In JW terminology, platelets are a primary component, not a fraction.

For JW patients, the acceptability of all forms of autologous transfusion is decided using recirculation as the litmus test.

A blood patch is acceptable only if the syringe remains connected to the vein throughout the procedure. Blood salvage and isovolemic hemodilution became acceptable to the JW community only after these procedures were modified to recirculate a small amount of the patient's blood.

I'd guess that PRP therapy acceptable to JWs, would probably require the collection apparatus to remain connected to the patient throughout the procedure (?)

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I'd guess that PRP therapy acceptable to JWs, would probably require the collection apparatus to remain connected to the patient throughout the procedure (?)

Well, I know that was the understanding. But the articles I posted say nothing about that. Basically, one says using your own blood is a personal choice. The other one says using small amounts of one’s major component sometimes processed is a allowed. Nothing is said about prohibition of non processed small amounts of major components. Clearly whole blood from a donor is forbidden whereas autologous blood is not so clear which I conclude means personal choice unless I am wrong.

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert

PRP is good stuff! I have been doing it for years. Main usage is worn out shoulder to avoid 3rd surgery. The doctor I use has gotten heavy into stem cells, and combined I have had good results. I am 77 and still do truck repair. You Tube "Bill Covert service truck tour" that is a show and tell. That I made a year ago right after putting $8.500 worth of PRP and stem cell, in October I put another $11,000 into the shoulder. Right now that shoulder is stronger than it has been for several years. So $21,000 last year on that shoulder and feet, which is cheap for the ability to continue to work and the income realized, a real bargain.

I started my doctor treating dupuytren's contracture with PRP. Worked good on feet and hands.

It is not for everyone and it costs. It will work best on people who are active, work, exercise and are proactive as catching joint and tissue damage quickly. If you are obese, out of shape barely active forget it. It is something for people who maintain body health and do not use it for last ditch attempt attempt to avoid joint replacement.

Works great for knees, which requires a lot of daily exercise on stationary bike.

Yea I was going to have a profitable summer, until two weeks ago, slipped on slick snow landed on left shoulder, tore rotator cuff tissue so had $8.500 injected last week. Should be a quick recovery.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit