Why zombies?

by FadeToBlack 13 Replies latest jw friends

• maksutov
    maksutov

I love a good zombie flick. Wifey is at the assembly this weekend, so I watched Shaun of the Dead last night (seen it before, but it bears a second watch). Warm bodies was OK (a zom-rom-com), and WWZ was pretty good too (and surprisingly devoid of gore), but I think my fave zombie flick is Zombieland - so much fun.

Some researchers theorize that we find zombies scary because of the 'uncanny valley' effect - they are almost human, but not quite, which throws us off balance and feels very uncomfortable. More info here: http://www.uncanny-valley.co.uk/

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    . Are the zombies in 'Walking Dead' slow or fast? Does the first series show how it got started?

They're mostly slow...but they're everywhere and when they come its at least a battalion.

The series has flashbacks in the early episodes and the first season has an origin type story for many characters. But I guess you're actually referring to patient zero. Well that's in the companion series 'Fear of the Walking Dead' which is only showing now and which I haven't been watching. I want a good number of episodes to build up before I jump in. In the Walking Dead series by the end of the first/beginning of the second season is where you get their twist in the tale and that's when you realize how badly mankind is in the doo doo.

Some researchers theorize that we find zombies scary because of the 'uncanny valley' effect - they are almost human, but not quite, which throws us off balance and feels very uncomfortable.

Cool. A new talking point with my neighbor... Oh yes I've seen this... Its like why most animation of human faces don't really work unless you make them more cartoon like (bigger eyes, simplified features etc.). Otherwise they look stiff or just plain off.

but I think my fave zombie flick is Zombieland - so much fun.

Mine too... double tap.

• Simon
    Simon
    Are the zombies in 'Walking Dead' slow or fast? Does the first series show how it got started?

They are not the running zombies like WWZ - they mostly get you by sheer volume and surprise.

Walking Dead starts with Rick coming out of a coma and the outbreak has already started and civilization collapsed while he was stuck in a sealed off hospital room. The new "Fear the Walking Dead" spin off shows more of the original outbreak and the zombies getting started.

Zombieland is good and funny - Bill Murray is great as himself.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Thanks for all the tips/updates. I will check out Zombieland. I love Bill Murray. Great actor in either comedic or dramatic role (note: not sure if comedic is a real word). Probably will also get first season of Walking dead and give it a try.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit