Why zombies?

by FadeToBlack 13 Replies latest jw friends

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I just saw WW-V with Brad Pitt the other night (I know I am behind the times, still trying to catch up on movies I missed the last 30 years) and it struck me- why are we always fighting zombies? Is it just easier to justify the carnage? It seems to me, that the most horrific carnage seems to be neighbor-vs-neighbor. Doesn't even have to be along ethnic lines, just us-vs-them. Civil-wars seem to be the most brutal.

What is the root cause? Pent up rage, manipulation? How is this going to play out in a world with an increasing population and dwindling resources? Your thoughts.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think its because others have marketed the Zombie stories and have made money in the process that other movies are being made with the same intent.

Its about money and the potentiality to get it.

Religious charlatans like the JWS act in similar fashion to previously established charlatans.

• Simon
    Simon

Zombies are just a great movie monster. Who doesn't think zombies are scary?!

Also, I think the idea of it being OK to shoot lots of people is somehow appealing to many

WW-Z (V?) is a great movie - I like the "fast" zombies more than the slow ones.

BTW: The first night of the living dead movies were a metaphor for racism (the "brain dead") and the first movie where the protagonist hero was a black man.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Doomsday movies in general - not just zombie ones - have captivated the hearts of many. Many secretly wish for an under populated world. Combine that with an action plot and you've got the perfect combo.
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Hi Zimon, FungalZteeen, Village Ghoul and DecomposeToBlack,

My neighbor has an obsession with the Walking Dead.

We discussed the series extensively over several sessions.

Our conclusions were as follows:

Humanity has a secret death wish.

It is a vicarious release to see what would happen if everything went to hell.

Seeing the transformation of humans exposed to barbaric circumstances over a prolonged period of time results in good character arcs. (Specifically referring to five seasons of Walking Dead)

There were other conclusions but during every session we had some beers...and so I forgot the other points.

Greetings

SaintBrainzzzzz, I Want to devour some Brainzzzzzzz

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Zombies must be shot in the head. Nothing else works. I think its a metaphor for all the crazy ideas people hold and how it leads to inhuman violence. Other than that its just a movie.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Thanks for the cliff notes. I have a lot of catching up to do. I skipped the whole vampire thing though. Hope that is ok. Do the non-zombies (the good guys?) always win or at least have some kind of happy moment at the end of the movie?

Any movies/series where it doesn't work out that way? I ask, because other than in Hollywood, I can't see it turning out that way.

Thanks SaintB. I might change my user ID.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    Do the non-zombies (the good guys?) always win or at least have some kind of happy moment at the end of the movie?

Tradition dictates that its never over and we're all ******.

I skipped the whole vampire thing though. Hope that is ok.

To me after the first Twilight movie vampires became forever unclean.

Time may heal all wounds though.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

They make better movie monsters than most because killing them with extreme prejudice is the only way you can deal with 'em.

They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and they absolutely will not stop... oh, wait, that's Terminators.

Sorry.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Is it typically some type of virus that kicks off the zombie-apocalypse? I saw Legend and seem to recall they were trying to use rabies (or rabies vacine) to cure cancer and it didn't turn out so well.

I prefer the fast zombies (at least on film) too. If there were real zombies, slow would be better of course. Just don't get your leg stuck in the branches while you are running away. Are the zombies in 'Walking Dead' slow or fast? Does the first series show how it got started?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit