Singing Kingdom Songs - Volume 2 (2005) : truth or legend?

by neat blue dog 3 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

OK, pretty much ALL of us have heard some of the 10 track cancelled album featuring George Benson and others, the most popular track of which is probably "We Must Be Holy" with the Celine Dion soundalike. Not much is known about it, but I always assumed it was just a George Benson nonprofit hobby project. Tonight, however, I read a post from user DNCall who says he regularly contributed to WT music projects, including co-composing the soundtrack to Jehovah's Witnesses Stand Firm Against Nazi Assault. In a passing reference, he says that this album was originally approved by the GB but was leaked ahead of time, after which they shelved it and published that KM article telling publishers that it doesn't have their approval and not to download or circulate it. He even says that he talked with Ted Jaracz personally to complain about the work put into it and then they shelved it.

So my question is this: Is this post the ONLY known source of the concept that is was in fact originally produced and sanctioned by the WTS, or was he telling tall tales, because I can find literally noone else to confirm.

• Listener
    Listener

Wow, I had no idea that George Benson recorded some Kingdom Melodies but that's not what surprises me but the fact that the Org. told the r&f not to download it or circulate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58_MJYNDcEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsgZ1jhlPps

More information can be found on this link

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/188328/george-benson-friends-sing-praises-jehovah?page=1&size=20

I would just like to take the opportunity to thank Simon for maintaining this site and how valuable it is when researching just about any topic to do with JWs. I hope it is never lost.

• DNCall
    DNCall
    I stand by everything I've said on this subject. I may be the only one who was involved in this project that has left the organization, so it may be difficult to have independent verification of my accounts. The YouTube clip above is neither Song 7, nor was it sung by George Benson or Sheila Hutchinson. Celine Dion had nothing to do with this project. With all the misinformation that has been circulated over the years, I am the last person you would want to doubt.
  • neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

DNCall:

No offence was meant at all :)

I'm just sure most of us here pride ourselves on not just believing anything we hear. Today I found a confirmation from another user on an old thread:

"

Billy the Ex-Bethelite8 years ago

Okay, I'll finally say something about this subject...

BUT THIS IS A SECRET AND DON'T TELL ANYBODY !!!

Patterson Audio/Video Services was approved to produce a number of songs for a potential Singing CD release. This was hopefully to replace the terrible one from a decade earlier. There was a large orchestra session recording, followed by the vocal recording, followed by the mixing. Everybody that heard it loved it... although a couple of the songs sounded somewhat 'worldly'. The recording was presented to Teaching Committee and the Governing Body. They declined, and the product was shelved. However, the songs were leaked very shortly afterward. Hundreds of memos and phone calls never revealed the person responsible. (No, it wasn't me, I always toed the line.) As I recall, one of the non-Bethelite music arrangers/mixers/whatever had been disfellowshipped and was in posession of a copy. That's all of the story I ever really followed.

Yes, George Benson was there and he was recorded. I think he is singing this track. There was another brother there, somewhat similar voice to Br. Benson, but I don't think it was the other brother.

No, Celine Dion wasn't there. It isn't her. As I recall, the sister doing vocals on this track was from California and worked mostly for Walt Disney Company. It sticks in my mind that she had done Pocahontas vocals.

Before you ask- Prince wasn't there. Michael Jackson wasn't there, either.

And for what it's worth...

I don't confirm, I just repeat!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit