Addressing mind control helps the person and helps them leave

by Introspection 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Introspection
    Introspection

In talking to those that go to the local XJW support group here, it occurred to me that when we address the mental/psychological aspect of witness indoctrination it kind of kills two birds with one stone. I think this is especially helpful because you can talk about mind control without directly pointing a finger at the WTS (of course there is a time for that too) - but it seems it would help you get the wheels turning first. Comparing this to the bombarding-them-with-facts-about-the-society approach, it seems a lot more subtle if not more effective. Not only that, but this promotes a degree of mental health by shedding light on the person's thinking pattern, rather than just pulling the rug from under them and then you have this desperate person going: "What now?? I have nothing left." The fact is, very often it seems the 'what now' or where do I go and what should I believe now question is actually the person seeking another form of mind control, and it doesn't have to be religion. It seems to me this approach of inviting a person to examine how their thinking pattern is shaped basically allows them to help themselves. True freedom is not just freedom from the Watchtower.

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Introspection,

I agree with (at least some of) your observations, but could you please get to the point?

Spanner.

• Introspection
    Introspection

Well Spanner, basically it's just helping them see how they think, their reasoning (or lack of such) instead of shooting down individual beliefs. For one thing, you can challenge belief itself - this is probably the most direct approach for any religious person and I've kind of been leaning toward this direction as you can see in my posts, but I think we could focus more on aspects of mind control that relates more directly to a person's quality of life, too. (probably a little too direct for many) I can't give you too many examples as this isn't something I've really researched, but it just goes to reason that if you challenge a person's way of thinking, then all the conclusions they've drawn by that way of thinking will automatically be called into question as well, right? In the case of witnesses and many religious people it will more than likely take some repetition and wording it in different ways for someone to get the point, besides the actual thinking process itself is pretty simple. But basically it's like the old saying about teaching a man to fish and he can feed himself - teach a person about mind control and they can sort out the stuff themselves. It seems to me if you take this approach and supplement it with certain key facts, it would make for a more effective transition.

• dmouse
    dmouse

I think if you have the time and ability then the process you outline has a number of advantages, not the least of which is the fact that it is gentler then the 'pull the rug out' method. Also, once an awareness of mind-control techniques is in place it protects the person from future exploitation.

I have used this method with my own children, not attacking the WBTS directly but pointing out how (for example) advertising and sales people try to control how we think, also reading flawed arguments with them and showing them how to spot the flaws and logical fallacies. In all of this the target remains non-theatening because I don't mention their religion. But eventually they started to apply the same reasoning abilities to the teachings of the WBTS and now they are beginning to see for themselves the way that the Society manipulates their minds.

• truman
    truman

Hi Intro, All I have to say is...it sure worked for me! I was not in any particular turmoil over doctrinal issues, but when I discovered material online which described mind control techniques used by cult-like organizations to keep followers so bound up with guilt over never being good enough and fear of losing whatever opportunity they think they are in line for, I immediately realized that these were in operation in my own association with the WT. And in my case, the mind control material was not JW specific. Actually it was describing the parallel phenomenon with regard to Amway followers. I came across a list called "Things They Will Say", and in so many particulars, it was exactly like the social and organizational tools of manipulation which I had lived with for 27 years as a Witness. It was like a bolt of lightening to me, and I very quickly knew I would no longer allow myself to be exploited like that. Now, I did have to go through a period of sorting out the doctrinal and belief issues after that, but Ray Franz' books put the vast majority of those to rest, and time to decompress from JW thinking took care of the rest. truman

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Introspection , thank you. I have felt all along that the mind control techniques are the strongest evidence to free those who need to believe that God has nothing to do with the WTBTS. Anyone can make mistakes of prophecy, but willfiul manipulation of your brother's mind is unforgivable according to the belief that God is Love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit