Congrats, Simona Halep!

by LoveUniHateExams 7 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Simona Halep has just given Serena Williams an absolute ass-whupping, winning her first Wimbledon title.

So I guess congratulations are in order.

But, I gotta say, if I'd forked out loads of money for a courtside seat I'd be a bit disappointed. The match lasted just 56mins, with Halep winning in straight sets 6-2 6-2.

Surely, it's time for the women to play over 5 sets in grand slam matches?

• hybridous
    hybridous

Why do women play fewer sets in the first place?

• minimus
    minimus

One of my biggest complaint is this... These tennis players believe they should be getting equal pay as a man and I have no problem with that as long as they play the same amount of sets.

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Female sports tend to be slower and not as exciting in many instances. They also have a lower attendance so why should they make as much money?

If women began to attend more female sporting events at the same level as Male sports then there would be money to pay them... atleast in the USA

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I loved watching her fake JW outta shape ass getting knocked out.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Why do women play fewer sets in the first place? - I don't know why.

It happens only in Grand Slam tournaments - in other tournaments both men and women play best of 3 sets.

The women don't hit the ball as hard so, yes, their games are a bit slower than the men's as a consequence. But that still doesn't explain the 5 sets vs 3 sets thing.

I mean, women footballers play for 90mins, just the same as the men.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

And Djokovic won the men's final yesterday. It was a 5 hour epic.

Kinda proves my point ...

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, that wasn't even much of a match, she annihilated her. Given the BS that Sore-Loser Serena has been spouting lately, that made me pretty happy. Simona was very humble and endearing ... and also has the perfect name!

The women's game just doesn't compare with the mens for sheer spectacle. It really is simple supply and demand - the men bring in way more money and get more prize money as a result. You can't compare a 50min game to a 5 and a half-hour marathon and think they deserve the same pay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit