Under WT rules, can JW women file for a divorce? Or can only men file?

by JimmyPage 45 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

The reason I ask is because while watching the "Dateline" episode about Ralph Candelario, the claim was made that only JW men could file for divorce, not women.

I had never thought about this before.

Also, how does this apply in cases where a husband is "apostate" while the wife is faithful to WT?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

A woman can file for divorce from the JWS perspective, only if her husband commits adultery.

If he beats her senseless or rapes her and egregiously abuses her, she still can not.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage
    Wow. I had always thought that if her life was endangered or if there was "complete spiritual endangerment" she was allowed to file.
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    Wow. I had always thought that if her life was endangered or if there was "complete spiritual endangerment" she was allowed to file.

Well ... you have to understand ... what is printed and how things really are, are two totally different things.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

So women really aren't allowed to file for divorce? (Other than adultery).

I'm sorry to keep asking, I just want to know for sure that this is really the way it is.

• Listener
    Listener
    You are correct Jimmy. A partner can divorce under those circumstances but would not be able to remarry until their partner committed adultery. Fortunately, their definition of adultery is pretty broad and goes beyond sexual intercourse with a person of the opposite sex.
  • JimmyPage
    JimmyPage
    Thank you, Listener. Just to broaden the discussion further, what else constitutes adultery?
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One of the reasons men latch onto religions is that they preconceive in doing so puts them in the drivers seat of power and control particularly over their submissive subordinate wives or woman in general.

Emulating the social moral standards of the ancient Hebrews has its perks and privileges.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius
    Perhaps things have changed in JW land since 1984 when I left. But back then a JW woman could get what was called an unscriptural divorce, meaning for reasons other than adultry. However, she wasn't free to remarry until her ex committed fornication.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

what else constitutes adultery?

Homosexuality but not foreplay.

Sexual misconduct still isn't grounds for divorce.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit