Halloween, Day of the Dead, the Flood, yada yada yada

by schnell 3 Replies latest jw friends

• schnell
    schnell

My local public radio station today had a piece about Dia de Los Muertos, and after all this time, I was surprised to learn that this day was actually moved to November by the Spanish from September.

So much for all that "Halloween/All Saints/Day of the Dead celebrates the Flood!" nonsense.

I also have had genuinely fun conversations with coworkers and customers about Halloween. My wife, it should be noted, recently said that if there's any holiday she would celebrate, it's Halloween. Because it's fun!

Then the radio program shifted to a couple of paranormal investigators and then an author who wrote a book about werewolves in Wisconsin. I readily place myself in the skeptic category. There's plenty we don't know, but I'm not about to allow the Bible or the Watchtower fill the gaps.

Certainly nothing in these paranormal stories coincides with an evil organization of demons that know the time is short. Not one bit of it. And the vast majority of it is merely psychological. People are primed and ready to believe this stuff. And then there's stuff about EMF from old electronics, sleep apnea, sleep paralysis, etc.

So meh. Have fun and be safe everybody.

• Londo111
    Londo111

And today is a special Halloween since it was 100 years ago today that Russell died, dressed in a toga.

• schnell
    schnell

Few things surprise me about that crazy guy anymore lol

• Heaven
    Heaven

Hallowe'en is the Witch's New Year called Samhain. Some say it is pronounced 'sow-in' but in Gaelic mh is pronounced as a 'v' so it is likely to be more like 'sav-ahn'. It is their festival or sabbat marking the end of the harvest, beginning of winter or 'the darker half of the year', and a time to honour one's ancestors. They believe it is a time when the parting of the veil occurs - where the worlds are thinnest and spirits can pass through into our world with ease.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit