Pagan Origins

by Illuminated 22 Replies latest social current

• Illuminated
    Illuminated

Why are JW's not allowed to do certain things because they have "Pagan origins", yet the very same roof over their head and the the food they place into their mouth is purchased through money with Pagan origins on it?

Pagan symbolism is all over money. So if the WT leaders are so against Paganism, why are they insisting "Jehovah's" earthly organization needs Pagan money to sustain itself, yet disfellowshipping members if they cross the line into Paganism?

• Illuminated
    Illuminated
    Sorry, meant to post it in a different section then were it landed.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yahweh ( Jehovah ) was a pagan god worshiped by ancient pagan people when you really think about it

• prologos
    prologos
    glad this family is "sneaky" clean. We pay everything with credit cards. for the perks. any paganism in plastic?
  • jhine
    jhine

Illuminated , one of the obvious answers to your question is that not celebrating birthdays , Christmas etc serves to keep Witnesses apart from all the mainstream faith groups , not to mention society in general .

It gives them a feeling of superiority over other people , especially those who go to church but who go along with these " pagan " celebrations .

I think that perhaps ex JWs would agree with this , but maybe they can think of other practical reasons as well . Guys ?

Jan

• Heaven
    Heaven

Many things have Pagan origins such as wedding rings, most of the holidays, the days of the week.

The ancient Christians demonized Pagans to further their own agenda. As Finkelstein stated, the ancients were once Pagan. Somewhere along the line, some of them decided that polytheism was evil. So they made all things Pagan evil and then violently abused/killed these people if they didn't convert to the Christian way of belief. They adopted and adapted some of the Pagan ways as part of this. As well, it's tough to give up everything you have come to know, trust, and use.

Yes, this is the Christian legacy. Just let that marinate for a while.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I ironically the Watchtower as a symbol has had pagan roots as it was used in history.

There is no questioning this organization was built upon theological stupidity and ignorance, even though it has tried to present itself with a identify clean of paganism, distinct from the rest of Christendom.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

As Heaven previously mentioned, just about everything we use today has some form of origin in paganism. From the calendar months to days of the week to funeral flowers to wedding rings to bonfires, to money itself.

Some things are not practical to stop using due to their origins BUT I can clearly see the point made.

It's like shopping at Wal-Mart whose owners are Christian or some form thereof, and eating at In-N-Out Burger whose owner was a born-again Christian and initially used the business to spread the Gospel.

It's an interesting subject for sure.

Scripture says money is not bad but 'love' of money is. And early Christians definitely used money with insignia and idols on it.

I'm not defending the WTS, far, far from it, but there are just some things that cannot be avoided like money without causing a significant hardship.

• Illuminated
    Illuminated

I understand what each of you have stated, especially what you mentioned jhine regarding the cult tactics used to create separation.

However, between a wedding ring and money stamped with the occult symbol of the pyramid with the all seeing eye, I'd say money is far more "Pagan" then a wedding ring or other things they place into their forbidden category.

What's most distasteful, ironic and contradicting is how they tell their members to have no part of the world, yet beg for money which has symbolism that's associated with "false worship" in order to expand "Jehovah's organization". Why would Jehovah need help from Satan in order to grow his earthly organization?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    I'm not defending the WTS, far, far from it, but there are just some things that cannot be avoided like money without causing a significant hardship.

So, the Watchtower chooses to allow some things with pagan origins, but condemns other things, completely based on convenience. What is the justification for that? Why do they get to make those distinctions, but not others? It's completely arbitrary and they know it, but they still condemn all other religions for drawing the line in a different place.

I am not saying they are wrong for using money, I am saying they are being ridiculous for making any of these things an issue, and hypocritical for pretending they are being so pure, when the ignore the origins of a practice when it suits them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit