Coming out

by Jester 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jester
    Jester

So here is the context . Been away from the grip for over 12 months. V close family me ever still in but we have moved to different parts of the country so little interaction on a day to day basis but this family member I love a lot.

I am however gay and have a partner however my partner wants me to tell my family member and stop lying. I get that but know that if that happens the religion will force my family member to shun me . My family member is older and not well.

i hate the ultimatum being given. I have managed the situation over the last 6 years and believe that the family member actually knows but will not confront the truth because of the consequences.

What do I do? I sort of know but interested if anyone else on here has experienced similar

• Moster
    Moster

Tell your partner why you wont do it and then carry on. It is difficult for those who were not part of the cult to understand why there is no point in telling anyone about your orientation. Why hurt yourself and your family member?

Peace and love.

• scotsman
    scotsman

I was close to my family, had left for twelve months and they began guessing that my friend was actually my boyfriend. I wouldn’t confirm and we had a few months where they seemed to live with that and then they suddenly felt guilty and decided to tell on me. They now shun me even though I’m not dfed. It’s been 16yrs.

Your partner may find it difficult to comprehend the consequences of their request, they could do some research and find out. But it’s your life, not theirs.

I sacrificed my family relationship for freedom, not for one person because losing your family could make you come resent that person if things get tough. Feel free to DM me.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Hi Jester

You don't have to do anything. Your private life is nobody else's business.

You don't have to come out to this elderly, weak family member if you don't want to.

• oppostate
    oppostate

If you care more about your relationship with your family then...

Tell your partner to go fudge! You don't need that crap in your life!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit