Shock belt to control defendant?

by little_Socrates 5 Replies latest social current

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates
    Skeen also ordered a shock device be placed on Calvert for security reasons because of his unpredictable behavior, legal officials said.

On Sept. 15, when Calvert did not stand up at the judge's request, Skeen had an electric shock administered on the defendant that caused him to twist in pain before the jury, local TV broadcaster KLTV reported.

http://news.yahoo.com/questions-raised-shock-belt-used-texas-murder-trial-112021293.html

So I understand that the defendant might be a very bad guy, and you do need to maintain some order in a courtroom. However what do you think about this case? There is two major issues... #1 I am very uncomfortable giving a judge the power to shock the defendant at any time. AND (maybe even a worse issue) #2 It happened in front of the jury! How does watching a defendant get shocked NOT taint the jury? If nothing else it should be grounds for a miss trial.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If nothing else it should be grounds for a miss trial.

If I was on the jury, he would not be convicted.

Doc

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Why would the judge have control over the shock belt? I would imagine that it was the bailiff who would be in charge of security.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose
    It sounds like torture to me.. It's not a requirement that the defendant be present for his trial, if he isn't behaving he should be sent back to jail, not shocked. I've seen them used on dogs, it's only effective when the collar is on, once the collar is off the dog is worse, not better, and I wouldn't even use it on a dog, much less a person.
  • little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

LisaRose here is the problem... he insists on his right to self representation. It is hard to mount a defense if you can't be in the courtroom.

I really don't know what to make of this case. There are to many opposing interests that all need to be met. I am glad I am not this judge.

• barry
    barry
    Here in Australia there have been cases where Muslims won't stand for the judge but eventually the judge gets his way when the judge decides sentencing and he makes allowances for not respecting him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit