Religious Non-Profits Alaska No Longer Tax Exempt?

by blondie 7 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/dawson-creek/churches-non-profits-worry-about-changes-to-property-tax-exemptions-1.2071538

The city currently exempts 2.19 per cent of its annual tax revenues, a total of around $318,000 in foregone income. A policy brought forward by city staff would cap exemptions at one per cent of revenues, or around $159,299.

That would mean more money in the city coffers, but it could be mortal blow to certain non-profits.

The issue dates back to 2012, when council under then-Mayor Mike Bernier pushed for a review of its exemptions policy to see how Dawson Creek compared to other cities.

“The outcome of that review was that we were more generous than many other municipalities, so council directed we develop a policy that would see a phase out (of permissive tax exemptions),” Chief Administrative Officer Jim Chute said, noting Dawson Creek exempts more groups than other B.C. cities its size.

While some cities exempt up to six per cent of their property tax levy, others exempted just under one per cent.

Chute noted the City of Fort St. John is currently reviewing its permissive tax exemption policies.

For Bethel Pentecostal Church, a change in policy could mean a surprise tax bill of $15,000. Rev. Shawn Robillard said that could force the church to close Networks Ministries—a free store and food bank operated by the church. Mountain Christian Principal Eva Hutchinson said the school would have to raise tuition to cover property taxes, while Dawson Creek golf course representatives said property taxes would mean higher membership fees and the potential closure of the club.

- See more at: http://www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/dawson-creek/churches-non-profits-worry-about-changes-to-property-tax-exemptions-1.2071538#sthash.qZJZWDr8.dpuf

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Sorry to report, but I think Dawson's Creek is in British Columbia, Canada. About 400 miles east of Alaska and 500 miles north of Washington State.

But I hope this idea catches on everywhere.

Doc

• Peony
    Peony
    "Representitives from eight religious groups packed Council Chambers". Funny that they're happy to join forces with other religions when it comes to money!
  • blondie
    blondie
    Sorry just saw Alaska highay
  • Zoos
    Zoos
    For Bethel Pentecostal Church, a change in policy could mean a surprise tax bill of $15,000. Rev. Shawn Robillard said that could force the church to close Networks Ministries—a free store and food bank operated by the church.

During times of financial crunch, sacrificing programs for the poor is always the norm while salary cuts for the hierarchy is not even considered.

It's just business.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Yup, these are all close to each other in northern BC.

Makes sense that something like this would be more likely to start up in Canada than the US.

• Simon
    Simon

It just needs to start *somewhere*

Once municipalities realize how much they are losing out on and what that does to their budgets I think the idea will catch on. Like the marijuana tax revenues in Colorado.

I hope it does - why should these businesses get a free ride at the communities expense?

Heck, even the pope said that only charitable operations should be tax exempt.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

All religious properties should be taxed. Just think of the millions of dollars being lost by towns and cities. I'm sure some of the towns in upstate New York would love the revenue from Watchtower properties. If these institutions were taxed, maybe property taxes could remain steady for the hard working home owner who sees constant increases in their yearly tax bill.

HappyDad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit