Webcam and why it died in Dallas

by animal 2 Replies latest jw friends

• animal
    animal

For those that were devastated when the webcam pages died, here is why:

My bandwidth is limited to 1.5 Gigs per month under the current fee I pay. Most sites will bill you extra when you exceed that limit. These guys just shut it down till the next month rolls around. Here are the stats:

We had over 190,000 hits in a 2 day period. From the graph, you will see that my site isnt hit that hard any other day. I overlooked this happening, so I didnt set the pages needed on any of my other websites.

Several of you asked me how you can set a cam up at your fest. It is fairly easy, once you have the hardware. I can help you with the software and pages, just email me for the help.

Animal

• qwerty
    qwerty

Animal

That explains it. I thought there were something wrong with my Java software.

Qwerty

• Simon
    Simon

A fair few hits! No wonder it went over the limit (and maybe a good job they put a cap on it instead of just racking up a big bill)

I'm going to try running a streaming media server from my laptop at the next one using MS Media Encoder - a UDP broadcast should be more efficient in network terms than the regular upload / download and should allow people to get a live feed at different quality depending on their connection.

I'll try setting up a test sometime soon and getting several people hooked up at once to see how it copes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit