We were shown how to google jw-org last night

by StarTrekAngel 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

So last night I went to the meeting with my family. Had not gone in 2 weeks. As usual I sat down reading the bible. I need to tune out the non-sense so I figure is better I read the bible looking for ammo. I was re- reading some paragraphs (sounded to me like David and Jonathan were gay) when all of a sudden the last part of the meeting talked about using audio files from the website in ministry or even at home. Elder who prepared the part dedicated 10 minutes to explain how to get the files down. Many in our cong are older people and are not technologically inclined, but I guess the org wants them to pick up on the trend.

So the elder, rather than showing people how to go to the address bar and type the website address, showed them how to run a google search on jw-org. He did it live, on a big projector. The results all came out on screen. Unfortunately the resolution was too low and only the top line (the borgs website) was visible. But I can just imagine some of these brothers going back home and doing the same thing. I just ran the search myself and the top two results are pro-jw sites, the rest are youtube videos regarding child abuse.

• sir82
    sir82
    Is the elder maybe a secret double-agent? Or just utterly clueless?
  • Simon
    Simon
    They could be trying to game Google. If enough people search for and click on their link then it gets a boost.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Too many people stumbling on jwfacts and the like it sounds like.
  • pixel
    pixel
    Lol. Thanks for posting.
  • done4good
    done4good

Exactly why they will lose the information war in the end.

d4g

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

I think that was a GREAT way to show them . Maybe they will all learn something valuable (TTATT).

The internet is doing a number on this cult.

I like Sir82's comment...maybe the brother wants others to know what he knows. Good ole TTATT!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Too many people stumbling on jwfacts and the like it sounds like.

That's what happened to my 80+ year old mother. I'm guessing that she entered jw*org into .oogle, instead of into the address bar.

Well, you know the kind of results you get when you do that at Google.

She thinks someone "hi-jacked" the WTS website that day. But now she keeps getting ads for other "JW" things -- the "bad" kind.

Doc

• prologos
    prologos

the last part of the meeting talked about using audio files from the website in ministry or even at home. Elder who prepared the part dedicated 10 ---" ; STA

dedicated 10 minutes to show how to fumble with the pad he had in his hand. In the audience were a healthy minority of 9-40 year olds that could have shown how it is really done with aplomb and grace. So it was boring for half and hilarious for the other. On second thought, possibly the part was assigned by the uebers to keep this ambitious man down.

A throwback to the phonograph era.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

It's very interesting to watch the Watchtower struggle to keep up with this system of things.

It would be funny, if it weren't devastating and damaging so many lives.

Simon said: They could be trying to game Google. If enough people search for and click on their link then it gets a boost.

Are they that sophisticated?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit