Simon - Your Site Is A Sight For Sore Eyes

by hillary_step 7 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Simon,

I just want to congratulate you, and publicly at that, for the new look discussion board. A splendid job. You must be doing something right with the tone of the Site as I have noticed a flurry of new subscribers in recent days. Well done to both yourself and the ever patient Angharad.

None of this of course stops you being a liar and a well practiced dog-handler at that.

Best to you, and continued success - HS

• Simon
    Simon

ha ha ... thanks HS

I've still got plenty of bugs to fix (mainly chat & a few posting ones) plus the member profile to finish but it's getting there ... slowly!

It's nice to see new people jumping in and having a go too.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Husbandly work, indeed.

I've no idea whatsoever what it takes to set up a site like this...are we talking hundreds of command lines? Thousands?

It's nice to see new people jumping in and having a go too.

From the posts I've read, a lot are opening up here because they see the openness and honesty we share. That's what keeps me here. The formula works.

Craig

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I've no idea whatsoever what it takes to set up a site like this...are we talking hundreds of command lines?

You mean Simon didn't write this program in BASIC ? Gee, now I am impressed!

• blueyes
    blueyes

At least BASIC is better than machine code.

• Simon
    Simon

You know .. I had no idea how many lines of code there are !

I've just done a count (well, pressed the button that did the count for me) and there are 9,200 lines of C# code (C# is the language it's written in). Besides this, there are some JavaScript files (1 main one and then 1 for each 'style') that have several hundred lines and the XSLT template files for each type of page on the site (about 50) which range from 50 - 1000 lines (mainly HTML) and these weigh in at < 250k.

Currently, when compiled, the run-time code is just 152k and with the layout files would fit on a floppy disk ... even an old one

• Satanus
    Satanus

Simon

You wrote all the code for this board yourself? Wow. People still do that?

SS

• onacruse
    onacruse

Sorta makes we wonder how many lines of code it takes Simon to say hello to Ang and the kids when he comes home from work!

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit