UK Users JW's and the Data Protection Act 1998

by mattnoel 5 Replies latest jw friends

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

Ok So I am wondering, please dont mock me those that know me, I know I was in the Police but I have been thinking about something.

The society are no longer allowed to hold personal information on anyway without their written consent, now we had to sign something as publishers etc that they could hold info on us. Now I have been looking at a website http://www.watchthetower.com/ and the forms the society holds on us. Now there is a form called dissfellowshiping form or something, this form never gets destroyed. Now I am now longer a serving witness and they are still holding information on me without my consent. Where do I stand ?! I know I have the right to write and find out what they hold I am thinking of doing this just to see what happens. If they have to destroy info on me then they are screwed arent they ? esp if I was to try and be awkward.

Can I have your thoughts or do you all think I am being stupid and petty ?

• Simon
    Simon

Since last Oct (I think it was) the UK Data Protection act now covers paper-based records which was a clause they previously 'hid behind'

You'll probably have to pay a fee to get your records *but* the important element of the Data Protection act and the reason behind it is that the records must be accurate and they must not be used to cause you harm or harrassment.

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

mmmm interesting, cheers for that simon, I feel another stab in the back for the witnesses coming up, along with the many i have up my sleeve.

Will keep you all posted and let you know what happens !

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I had not found the watchthetower site until I clicked the link.... Interesting, but somewhat over the top , in my humble opinion.

To call a monthly report form a "Top secret document" is hardly the case, and the claim that irregular publishers are "Disciplined" cannot be justified

Each to their own, and I am in favour of any expos'e of WT practices but if the claims are unfounded , then it gives honest web sites a bad name.

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

BB you have a very valid point ! of course we cant bring the witnesses up on something that is not actually justified as we would make ourselves look stupid for not doing our research properly.

I am not sure where you are but here in the UK there are very strict laws governing what can and cant be held on you and there are a lot of rules around the holding of information, basically anything with your personal details such as name and date of birth have to be held securly, there can be nothing detrementing your good name unless justified, etc etc.

I have sent them a letter today asking them for my personal info and will take it from there.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Matt hunny, though as similar as our situations are, they are even more vastly different. Every situation has to be delt with in a different manner. I closely examined my intentions before sending the letter that I emailed you.

I have finnished reading yours. I feel you need to do whatever it takes to get the closure you need to move on with your life. Kudos to you for sticking to your guns. And for a very emotional letter. They may turn a deaf ear, but there are some issues raised that they cannot ignore. And for them to do so would be a tragedy.

Love you tons

Chevy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit