Disfellowshipped for celebrating Xmas?

by Theburstbubble 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Theburstbubble
    Theburstbubble
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Although I live out of the territory, the witnesses from my congregation clean our streets Windows so if I did anything it would be seen. I'll just see how things go. The reason I don't want to be DF is because my mum is still a JW and it would break her heart for me to be DF. She's in her 70's now bless her so I'd rather keep things nice for her. It's a crazy religion though, my mum was telling me someone from her congregation is getting baptised at the weekend who is 12 years old. How can a 12 year old make a choice to sign up to a religion like this, they have no idea of the implications poor thing. They haven't even hit puberty yet! It's a contradiction as they say we don't get baptised as babies so we are mature but then they still baptise kids anyway! Sorry, rant over.
  • ttdtt
    ttdtt

As an X-Elder - I agree with Tailspin - it depends on how big a bug your elders have up their collective ass.

Also if family tells, how small your territory is, if you were in a prominent or long time family. In reality the more years away the safer. Just do what you want to do as Low Key as possible.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Much depends on the attitude of your local B O E, some are more aggressive than others - but if they have a complaint they may feel obliged to act. If so. this will be their authority.

Shepherd The Flock Of God In Your Care /Offenses Requiring Judicial Decisions

16. Apostasy: Apostasy is a standing away from
    true worship, a falling away, defection, rebellion,
    abandonment. It includes the following:
    ˙ Celebrating false religious holidays: (Ex. 32:
    4-6; Jer. 7:16-19) Not all holidays directly involve
    false religion and require judicial action.
  • Theburstbubble
    Theburstbubble
    Thanks Bluesbrother, very interesting
  • Giordano
    Giordano

Good advice. I would keep Christmas very low key from the street. We have a small metal antique tree that sits on a small table...... our grand kids love the presents the tree is not a big deal to them.

However when we left years ago and had family in the area we would go to a hotel that was all Xmased up and enjoy the mood. Ski resorts, historic towns or cities...... there's a bunch of options.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

how to reply to the elders once you have decided to leave the cult---

• Theburstbubble
    Theburstbubble
    That's a good idea Giordana about going out somewhere else to share the experience. Thank you
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Geoffrey Jackson". But again, as I said, it is not my field,"

What a pomous ass that man is...exactly what is the " field" of a man that left school at 15 to sell pamphlets??

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

How can you be an Apostate as to a "religion" you have never been part of ? would be my response if they wished to DF me , for whatever reason.

I left in 2008, I have never been part of the religion that teaches Overlapping generations, that the FDS is only the Big expensive watch wearing 7, etc.

I would assure them that my treatment would be all over the Media too, they would look such fools, and almost like a Cult LOL.

Fear them not oh my beloved, they are just walking bullshit.

• Peony
    Peony

Hello Theburstbubble

My husband and I had left for just over 2 years when we got a text from the elders saying they had reports that we had celebrated Christmas. My husband had been an elder. I think it definitely depends on your local body, a couple who left at the same time as us in a neighbouring congregation (he was an elder too) celebrated straight away, lights and all and were left alone. We waited 2 years before we put lights up and they came after us. Celebrating Christmas is not a disfellowshipping offence but they say by celebrating you have disassociated yourself because you have affiliated yourself with an organisation that is contrary to Gods Kingdom. The irony is the Governing body did the same thing being members of the UN!!!! It's in the green organised book. It's also the reason when questioned by the Australian Authority the GB member said it was not his understanding that people get disfellowshipped for celebrating Christmas........no they are automatically classed as disassociated........very sneaky!

We ended up disassociating ourselves so we could get on with our lives......for us it was the best decision we've ever made even though we have lost family. A year down the line I now have skin cancer and hoping none of them come to visit, I don't want to go through the pain of them coming back into my life to leave yet again when I hopefully get better xx Good luck with whatever you decide to do xxx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit