Were You Ever A True Believer?

by minimus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Willie647
    Willie647

I always had a problem with this small group of folks being the only ones that had the truth. At age ten or so I doubted everything and when my jw stepfather would drone on in prayer before we ate I used to fantasize that he would raise his head,smile, and tell us that it was all a joke. And we would all laugh. So no,I didn't buy it very early.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

I was raised as a JW. My mother started studying while she was pregnant with me. Firmly believed it (despite temptations from 'the world'). Believed it as a pioneer, as a Bethelite, MS and as an Elder. I regularly drank the kool-aid. Started questioning while working in the Legal Department at Bethel. Child abuse, blood issue, 'theocratic warfare techniques' protecting the brand over what was right/just. It was a devastating revelation but am better for recognizing the lies.

• blondie
    blondie

What happened to all the username icons?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I was born in, 60 years plus ago, I believed what I was told as young kid. I began to ask awkward questions when I was 10 or 11.

From then on I began to develop my own personal faith, and was always sceptical of what the W.T said, though I behaved myself morally according to their guidelines.

By the time I was late teens I openly and loudly questioned the nonsense about the fulfillment of Prophecy occurring at some piddling Convention of two held at Cedar Point Ohio.

I was never censured for this.

I remember, in my mid forties, eventually asking myself "What if everything about the religion is false ?"

It was another decade of gradually reversing out of the religion before I finally walked away. Then I really examined it all, and indeed, everything about the religion was Bull Crap.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Yes, I was a true believer once, all the way until the great 'overlapping generation' rectum derived doctrine.

It's been downhill from there; and since one cannot unring a bell, I don't think my faith in the WTBTS can ever be restored.

Any day now I will make it publicly known that I can no longer support this Org.

DY

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I was a true believer. However, I had a sufficient level of cognitive dissonance to continue my education. The skills I learned ultimately helped me gain my freedom.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

minimus - "Were you ever a true believer?"

Yeah, when I saw her face.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I now regret to have to say that there was indeed a time in which I swallowed the whole thing:

- "Hook, Line and Sinker" as the saying goes, and did believe everything that that lot told me.

Looking back, it is difficult now to identify when exactly the realisation began to alter - but the fuse was probably lit by the failure of 1975. Even so, it was a bloody long fuse!

• Themdoubts
    Themdoubts

Yes i was definitely a believer although i didn't know any different - born in and my family has a long history entrenched with 'the truth' so everyone around me was a witness from birth. I didn't start having doubts till my teen years, but i wouldn't really ever look into them, just went through the motions. Became an auxiliary pioneer, then shortly after a scenario happened that made me question quite afew things and thats when i really got stuck into TTAT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit