Another Gem Of a Book

by ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara 7 Replies latest jw friends

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

Currently reading Recovery from Abusive groups by Wendy Ford

A truly worth reading book. So many things resonates with jdumbs and what I have heard people go through! She has also hit the nail on the head like my previous post about a book. Every page had meaningful, valuable information which I guarantee many will find useful. This should be the "go to" for cultists and excultists imho.

Decide for yourself. A little taste:

"Many ex-cultists, especially in the early months, try to get anyone and everyone to comprehend the experience. This is not effective communication. Some, a bit less tactful, even try to cram comprehension down the throats of their listeners. Like a bull in a china shop, they do an "information dump" on anyone within range. If the listener doesn't understand, the ex-cultist gets frustrated and angry and/or judges the listener to be a fool. Those listeners who do manage to understand something out of this barrage are usually overwhelmed and frightened when they leave the discussion. This is not a healthy or responsible "

My icing on the cake :

"When Have I Studied Enough?

One gauge I use to answer the question "how much studying is enough?" is that you have studied enough when:

1. The experience has no more hold on your ability to live the life you want to live.

2. You can explain the experience to other persons so they can understand it.

3. You can explain mind control to other persons so they understand how and why it could happen to them."

An amazing life experience well written .Truly a remarkable book.

Zing

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

Describes every stage / steps I have been through precisely, bang on as if I wrote these lines.:

"Thoughts and doubts which challenge the teachings are shameful. There is also a sense of betraying the leader. This shame inhibits critical thinking. No thinking means no mental exercise. No mental exercise means atrophy. To rebuild the mind, the ex-cultist needs to reflect upon information, wonder about how pieces fit together, and ponder ideas.

The challenge to thinking, however, is that as you ponder you may find yourself coming up with new and different conclusions about many things. It takes courage to face these reflections honestly and not to run away from them or hide behind a myth.

As time went by, I found myself scrutinizing everything I believed in, such as religion (what is God now), the purpose of government (why isn't it more effective and why doesn't it get rid of the cults), the purpose of language, the responsibility of friends, trust (how could I ever trust anyone again), and more ".

Well thought out presentation of her experience with so much clarity.

Zing

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
  • hybridous
    hybridous

Found a free pdf version. A good read!

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

As I keep reading more pages, I am utterly mesmerized as to how much she speaks well and in details about every aspect of a person who once has been in a cult and how she helps rebuild every aspect of their life.

Also I love the fact that she has incorporated little exercises to help one reevaluate things towards recovery and these are also well thought out.I encourage all to have a read of this book.

Some more egs:

"Some ex-cultists, because of the constraints of the cult, missed critical life events with families and friends, such as births, deaths, marriages, religious observances, and graduations. Remember, it was the psychological controls and demands of the cult that kept you from participating in these events. Thus, it may help you to discuss this loss with the family and to hear that the family has forgiven you. Forgive yourself, too, and grieve the loss of not having been a part of these events. You handled your responsibilities as best you could under mind control. Blame the cult, not yourself."

Zing
  • ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

This book is by far the BEST book on cults for excultists IMHO. I have been battling with quite a few revelations about me ,inner me since I woke up and only now through this book have all those puzzle pieces which were in the air come together, reinforcing my recovery to a healthier me. Most of all I am grateful that I have been recovering and healing in leaps and bounds without even realizing it till this book.I am just happy that my personality ,my inner self was way stronger than what I thought it was and today can see that I was running headlong towards recovering from the jdumb slave-holders.

Wish the same for all of you.

A few more lines

"When you're recruited into a cult, a cult personality or identity is superimposed onto your own personality. The cult reinforces and strengthens this cult identity through chanting and meditation, the restriction of language, and through information control-both from external sources and internally by cutting off certain mental functions, such as reflection and reason.

As the years go by, the cult personality remains dominant, successfully reinforced by the cult. The old you is there but quietly buried (for some not so quietly) waiting to be freed, like a bird in a cage. Once a person becomes aware of the psychological controls the cult has used and of the discrediting information about the cult and its leaders, the follower begins to reuse the mind and much of the old personality begins to emerge from hibernation."

Zing

(WATCHTOWER--- where love crawls to die)

• somebody
    somebody

Zing, it sounds like a great book and one I am going to read. Thank you!

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

@ Somebody it is my pleasure.I like to share stuff that I enjoy really.

Zing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit