"Life in LA"

by Oroborus21 0 Replies latest jw friends

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Howdy folks,

For the past several years I have been writing this thing I call "Life in LA" for my family and friends about once a month. It is about me or whatever I am thinking about. Sort of like an email blog (before blogging). Anyways in view of the times I thought some might find this month's interesting so I am sharing it.....

March 5, 2003.....Life in LA

"Beware the Ides of March"

It is Ash Wednesday for Catholics. According to Roman Catholic tradition it is 40 days from now until Good Friday. Technically the day is called "The Day of Ashes" but since it is always on a Wednesday its known as Ash Wednesday.

Yesterday was Fat Tuesday, the conclusion of Mardi Gras. Someday I think it would be fun to visit New Orleans and get an eyeful of the sights there. New Orleans is one of the few notable cities I have not yet visited in the U.S. and I would love to dig into some of that southern cooking.

Yesterday was the only date in the calendar that is a military order.

(It's a joke. Think about it.)

But seriously March 4 begins the month of Muharram for Muslims, the first month of the Islamic calendar. It is one of the four holy months specifically mentioned by Allah in the Quran (Koran).

Muslims believe that "one who keeps a fast in the month of Muharram will receive the reward of thirty fasts for each fast (in this sacred month)." Specifically, they are encouraged to fast on either the 9th and 10th day of Muharram (March) or the 10th and 11th day. This is also called the fast of Ashoora. In general it is a period of remembrance for martyrs. The fasting itself is an act of contrition and repentance from sins and it is very interesting to consider that this Muslim month is not unlike the Lent for Catholics in that regard.

As for me when I think about fasting and ashes and martyrdom, these concepts bring to mind the associations I have of them from the Bible.

"That same day a Benjamite ran from the battle line and went to Shiloh, his clothes torn and dust on his head." (1 Samuel 4:12)

"On the third day a man arrived from Saul's camp, with his clothes torn and with dust on his head. When he came to David, he fell to the ground to pay him honor." (2 Samuel 1:20

"Tamar put ashes on her head and tore the ornamented robe she was wearing. She put her hand on her head and went away, weeping aloud as she went." (2 Samuel 13:19)

I picture Job sitting in ashes and scraping his boils with shards of pottery for relief and of course it brings to mind God's address to Adam (Genesis 3:19; cf. Job 34:15, Psalms 90:3, 104:29, Ecclesiastes 3:20) and Abraham's confession, "I am nothing but dust and ashes" (Genesis 18:27).

It is troubling in these times to pause and reflect upon these things.

Last week I was describing the Iraq situation to my friend Kevin as the "Anti-Emperor's New Clothes" where it appears to me the whole world community is saying to our emperor, Mr. Bush, "You are naked! You are exposed!" but the emperor just continues to strut down the road, carrying us in a direction most people do not want to go. I keep wondering whether it will take that one clear voice of a child to reach him and who that may be?

I predicted to Kevin that the bombs and cruise missiles would begin by the “Ides of March.” That's March 15 for you non-Shakespearians.

Caesar was a guy that I think our historical perception has twisted our view of. We get the feeling that he was a bad guy, an evil dictator, a threat to the peace and security of not just his people but also the entire world. Because of that it was maybe a good thing maybe even a righteous deed when the Senators knives plunged into his breast.

That is one view. But if you have ever read Will's Julius Caesar you might come away with a different view of the whole situation. What you will find instead is an atmosphere of paranoia and fear, largely stirred up by the conspirators themselves and not as a result of any act by Caesar. It was what Caesar might do if he gets too much power that the assassins feared. They were acting to protect the people. Not all the Senate was in agreement by any means, many Senators wanted to limit Caesar’s power by other, more peaceful means. But in the end a coalition of conspirators was formed and these few agreed to act alone as preemptive strike.

And for a moment it seems that the fearful Senators (elected leaders) were right, they had done the right thing. There is a moment immediately after Caesar’s death, Caesar who was loved by the people, when the Senators explain why they had to kill him. In that moment with blood shining on the capitol steps it was easy to stir up the population, to justify their action, even to persuade the people that the right thing had been done.

The death of Caesar comes in the first quarter of the play. The rest of the tale deals with the aftermath. It is the aftermath that most of us worry about.

In the aftermath we have scenes of shame and regret and reflection. It is too late then to take back their action and the Senators find that out as they cause nation to war against nation, general against general, and the people to be thrown in turmoil, all because they feared what might be.

This month, named for the Roman god of war, there may soon be many persons weeping in ashes. Muslims this month are fasting and reflecting upon martyrdom. Christians are making sacrifices too. The Emperor is naked. Oh he feels a breeze between his knees but with his dumb expression and deaf to any words to the contrary, he feels himself fully clothed in righteousness. Meanwhile somewhere in Baghdad sits a Caesar, fully aware that the Ides of March is approaching.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit