Nose piercing problems

by gwyneth 5 Replies latest social family

• gwyneth
    gwyneth

Hi, I wasn't sure which heading to post this under, but here goes...I got my nostril pierced in mid-January, and I have developed a keloid next to it. I am beside myself, I hate the keloid so much. Has anyone ever gotten a keloid, and how did you get rid of it? I don't want to take the piercing out--I love it, and I don't want to get it repierced either, but I will have to do it if it's the only way to get rid of this thing. Thanks.

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

I'm not entirly sure what a keloid is but I'm sure it's not pleasent .. all you have to do is go off to the doctor and ask what treatment you should do informing them you dont want to remove the peircing. Complecations are common in peircings and usually easierly fixed.

m0nk3y 3y3brow ring l0v3

• Xandria
  • kat_newmas
    kat_newmas

I got my nose peirced when I was about 14.... many years ago, before computers.... just kidding I am only 33..... I also do not know what a keloid is... but I will tell you that I developed what looks like a tiny little mole or birthmark just below the peircing... it is not noticeable, but I have often worried that I may have done a stupid thing...... well... I did do a stupid thing, but you know what I mean... skin cancer or something. I still occasionally wear a tiny diamond in it... very occasionally... like once every year for a couple of days or something. For some reason it will itch, and wearing the stud is the only way to stop it... I dont know... I hope when you are my age your face doesnt fall off or something. If a "Keloid" can be removed... I would say go for it. whatever that is.

• gwyneth
    gwyneth

Thanks, Xandria, for the links. Kat, I am 33 also, and I just did the piercing! For those who don't know, a keloid is a pimple looking growth that is actually hard scar tissue. It usually occurs when the skin is traumatized, and over compensates healing and produces a raised bump. I have done some research, and some remedies include applying vitamin E, as well as getting it surgically removed or having steroid injections into it. I didn't want to go that far, and was hoping someone had a success story I could glean some advice from. Thanks!

• Scully
    Scully

Keloids are scars that are "overgrown" (the medical word is "hyperplasia"), and it isn't known why non-caucasians tend to develop them more frequently than caucasians. They may get smaller over time, but that depends on individual factors.

Chances are that if you try to have the keloid removed, you will simply get another (worse) one in its place.

Have your doctor refer you to a dermatologist who specializes in the treatment of keloids and get another opinion.

Love, Scully RN

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit