God, how many times are you going to wipe us out ?

by m0nk3y 8 Replies latest jw friends

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y
    I find it interesting that throughout human history according to the bible God had a hand in everything. He was well known, people saw evidience that god existed, he talked to them and gave them plagues and death and the like .. and then the bibles ends ... Jesus dies and then we hear nothing .. god vanishes, no signs, no angel visits, no godly bloodshed .. NOTHING! How do we explain this ?

And on top of everything how many times did God start it all again ... the flood comes to mind ... then there was the people of sodom .. how many times has Jehovah wiped out nearly everyone to start again ?!?! surely he has worked out that we are just ignorant and not to bother with us.

Then thers the prophecies that mankind will yet be wiped out again for another chance at paradise .. but dont forget .. 1000 years after that happens Satan will be let loose to see who he can influence and then the destruction begins again. And you know how the bibles says there will be new scrolls opened up after Armageddon well maybe thats going to be the Bible 2.1 and there will be new commandments and laws to live by and the new teachings of another generation in which destruction will be brought on wicked mankind. Sounds like a vicious circle to me.

If I am to beleive that tripe then I would rather die ... surely if this was real, god in his all lovingness would realise how morbid and horrible it is to inflict this fear amongst man and woman.

m0nk3y

• Satanus
    Satanus

Hey come on, give god a break. This is his first universe, the first time he has tried to lead smart yet totally blind (we can't see god) monkeys. He probably will realise in a few milleniums that he screwed up, overestimated our potential. Just give him a bit more time. He should have started w stupid sheep instead of rambunctious monkies.

SS

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

Personally I beleive that god should of had a mother.

Mums are always there to stop you pulling wings of butterflies and micro-waving kitty cats.

m0nk3y

• Brummie
    Brummie

LOL @ Monk3y!

• SYN
    SYN

All you need to do is simply employ Occam's Razor (i.e, the simplest explanation is the likeliest).

God is either:

1. Entrenched in his invisible kingdom, reigning from heaven, biding his time until he starts Armageddon, after which (according to the Dubs) another mini-Armageddon will happen 1000 years later. Also, many flavours of Christianity insist that Armageddon is just around the corner ("any day now"). So at the end of the day, he's ruling over us, but invisibly, from an undefined location, for an undefined period of time into the future. Nobody has seen him for at least 2000 years (depending on who you believe).

2. He doesn't exist.

So which one will it be?

• Francois
    Francois

SYN - You only offer two choices; there are others. It is possible, in fact likely, that there exists at least one other scenario which explains all that has been done in his name for the last five or six thousand years and which is not even tangentially related to the items listed in your item number one. Consider that you may be correct as to fact and utterly wrong as to truth.

Regard the evidence available to the senses: it is a fact that the earth is apparently flat. The truth, however, is that the earth is not flat but spherical. And there are many other examples where the facts do not lead to the truth. Can you think of other instances?

This fact vs truth concept can be applied to what we think we know as recorded in scripture. We are asked to believe that the OT is some sort of holy writ instead of what it manifestly is: the secular history of the Jews all tricked out like a trollope and prancing around as holy history. If there were a way of proving it, I would bet that the voice of god has never been heard on this planet. Those primitive and superstitious people back there were wont to call any communication seeming to come from a strange place as communication from God. I suspect it wasn't god talking at all. I'd be willing to bet some angel or another was doing the talking. And I'd be willing to assign such fanciful stories as Jonah and the whale, the worldwide flood, Lot's wife, etc. to truth's trashbin.

I think the OT should be pitched in its entirety for being a collection of fairy tales, myths, and outright lies foisted off on an illiterate population as truth explaining facts, when in fact it is nothing but meaningless stories for primitive minds. And look at the God of the OT: Here's a god that liked the smell of burning animals and who got off big time on foreskins. What a god!! Here's a god that made women menstruate and then blamed them for what he'd done to them himself. I could go on and on. Let's just say we pitch the OT entire.

THEN we pitch about 80% of the ramblings of Paul; and a similiar amount from the other guys (remember Paul never met The Master, and the apostles did not understand the man when he was standing right before them. How did THEY get to be experts on what he said and what he meant by what he said?)

We are after all this pruning left with a very, very slim little book - the product of applying Occam's idea to christianity and the bible. In the east, what you would have would be The Tao Te Ching, in which one can find many of the teachings and philosophies of The Master written six hundred years prior to his arrival. He can to illuminate a pre-existing way. There was always a Way to spiritual truth, even before Jesus. Jesus showed that He was the way. More Occam.

Simple.

francois

WE KEEP only those statements attributable to Jesus that are verifiable via repetition in other gospels.

• gumby
    gumby

I think the OT should be pitched in its entirety for being a collection of fairy tales, myths, and outright lies foisted off on an illiterate population as truth explaining facts, when in fact it is nothing but meaningless stories for primitive minds

Well said Francois. Many people see the dubs as a threat to individuals but do not see the bible as the same. Remember.....you Francois and myself....and all the others who do not believe this lying bullshit are going to burn forever in agony in the flames of hell. Even the dubs, at least, believe god will be merciful enough to let us heathens die. Not so with the bible.........we get to suffer for eternity! How pleasant

Gumby

• SYN
    SYN

Nice post Francois. The reason I only offered two choices was 'cause I was in a hurry The Bible would be OK if it was reduced to the Sermon on the Mount, minus all the bits about God. Hehe. Even I could live by that, ardent athiest that I am!

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Francois we are on similar tracks. Must be something in those eastman chemicals.

Typcally none of the ancient people who great religions are founded on do not have volumes and volumes to say. With Moses we are going back a great deal in time, and many scholars now believe that Genesis was just a collection of oral histories copies down and attributed to him. He doesn't appear to have said very much, likewise for Abraham (all . Jesus, if you remove all the Pauline letters and basically the rest of the NT, is seen in a far different light. Zoroastrianism's bulk of writing was done after the death of Zoroaster. Lord Krishna's book is the Bhagavad Gita, which is a poem of 700 verses. Buddha wrote NOTHING down, but instead the Tripitaka was collected together after he died. And as Francois said, Tao Te Ching is a slim document. According to legend Lao Tzu was leaving the Empire when a border guard forced him to write down some of his wisdom before he left. The Tao of Pooh is pretty good, also. There are no doubt others we know nothing about. The whole "infalibility" of the bible thing is difficult to believe, even from a Christian perspective, as it tends to cause the book itself to be idolized, which supposedly is a no-no in Christianity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit