Do you agreed with Ben Carson, Muslim should not become president??

by James Mixon 30 Replies latest social current

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    I do believe Islam conflicts with constitution. Your thoughts.
  • Simon
    Simon

I think it was clumsily phrased but I understood his point. It sounded a little like he was saying "shouldn't be president because of being a muslim" but it's really because of the beliefs that being a muslim brings (a subtle but significant difference). On the whole the ideology of islam is totally at odds with the personal freedoms enshrined in the US constitution and those valued by most western civilizations.

Of course the real question should be that if anyone believes in a higher power and authority that pre-disposes them to certain choices, should they be president? That should include evangelical christians as well.

• Mad Irishman
    Mad Irishman

Ben Carson isn't fit to be President if he said this, because he has obviously never read the Constitution, which I often find is true about people who go about trying to espouse the Constitution all the time. It is simply an incredibly racist thing he said and he should step down from running immediately.

Article. VI.

All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

Don't see anyway around that one my friends! The Founding Fathers are rolling over in their graves.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I had a close friend a Vietnamese, he fought for the south as a Air force pilot.

One day we were having a discussion about life here in the US. He didn't think much

of his new country but he felt he would have been a good ambassador for US in

Viet Nam. My question for him, where does your loyalty lie. Will you have the best

interest for the US or a conflict of interest.

I would feel a little uneasy with a Muslim president...I know they teach to obey the law

of the land, but it's the same if a JW became president.

• barry
    barry

Ben Carsons is a Seventh Day Adventist and being a former SDA i'm interested in his progress.

I don't understand the US system we have just had a change of prime minister and that was decided by the party but of course the queen is the head of state here .

What chance does Ben have I think he is rallying the christian vote among the evangelicals.

Some SDA churches are called peace churches I believe thats a new thing and I wonder he would feel having his finger on the nukes. Many SDAs are pacifists some are not.

Of course SDAs don't have there theology for the end times tied to Israel and that might be a good thing in achieving peace in that part of the world.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

In Saudi Arabia the governments is keen to protect the status qua and doesn't want

to compromise its cultural values or standard of living by allowing foreigners to

become a permanent part of society. Your only route to become a naturalized citizen

is by marriage to a national, even this however doesn't guarantee citizenship,

particularly for non-Muslims. How many other Muslims country have the same restriction?

The point I'm making, Muslims countries hate our guts...

• Simon
    Simon
    I think he is rallying the christian vote among the evangelicals.

Yes, he's talking to his 'base' who find this kind of message appealing. Of course this came out of Trump's inability or unwillingness to set someone straight. Kudos to John McCain for doing that previously.

Ban Carson's polling has been flattering but mostly he's ticked a tea-party box of "not a politician". I doubt when the real voting starts that any of these candidates will be rated as highly.

Also, if you allowed there to be (lack of) religious criteria for holding office then that would mean we'd be able to ban Kim Davis too.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

James Mixon:

"I do believe Islam conflicts with constitution. Your thoughts."

So does the Old Testament. Does that mean that an Orthodox Jew or Christian that keeps referring to Judeo-Christian values should not be President?

I believe that it would be all right for a liberal Muslim to be President to the same extent as a liberal Jew because both do not abide by their own scriptures and are actually much closer to Secular Humanist values.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Simon:
    Of course the real question should be that if anyone believes in a higher power and authority that pre-disposes them to certain choices, should they be president? That should include evangelical christians as well.

As far as I'm concerned this is all that needed to be said.

• Simon
    Simon
    I believe that it would be all right for a liberal Muslim to be President to the same extent as a liberal Jew because both do not abide by their own scriptures and are actually much closer to Secular Humanist values.

I guess that's the other way to look at it - would someone who could become president be a "real" Muslim any more than the current crop are "real" Christians?

What we're really talking about is whether we want any form of extremist religious nut job in such a powerful position. I wouldn't want one from either extreme. Anyone who believes Armageddon is something to look forward to should be disqualified.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit