Having courage

by Tigerlove 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Tigerlove
    Tigerlove
    A couple of days ago, I told the girl I study with that I didn't want to be part of the study anymore. This is the second time I've hold her this but the first time, I didn't make it clear. When I told her the first time, she stop coming for a week or two then she randomly showed up. It's easy to get rid of her when my mom is not home but my mom was home that day so she invited her in and offered her something to drink. I decided to stay in the room until she left. At least, that's what I was planning to do but then my mom called me to come say hi. It was super awkward but I was smiling like I missed her so much. It's like you can't get rid of them. So last week, I told her again that I didn't want to be part of it and I don't need her to talk me about reconsidering it because the whole thing didn't make sense. Weirdly she was okay with it. I mean, at this point, I honestly didn't care if she was. Although I don't do the study with her anymore, my sister does so I have to her every weekend. Which is super awkward because she always brings her mom whenever I tell her that I can't or don't want to do the study any more. To make it even more awkward, her brother studies with my brother and her dad studies with my stepdad. The weird part is, we never agreed with what they had to say but we still kept studying, now we're in deepm at least they are because I got the courage to tell them that I'm done. It's only been a week, let's see how long this last.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Your family sounds very hospitable and very good natured. But do not let anyone of your family be sucked into this mess of a religion. Encourage them to take a firm stand that they don't agree with it. There are other places to go that will not take control of and ruin your lives. Be kind to the witnesses, they are good people usually. Let them down easily. But firmly!!

p.s. Congrats on being the courageous one!!

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

The thing for you to do is stop feeling awkward and to make them feel awkward - by asking them questions which they cannot answer coherently or from the Bible, such as, "Why are you called Jehovah's Witnesses? There's not one scripture which tells Christians to witness for God, but there are dozens which show they must witness for Jesus!"

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/454960001/missionary-deceptively-mistakenly-misquotes-scripture

You'll find numerous topics on this site to copy/paste and print out. By doing so, you may help your family members.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    It sounds like your whole family needs to grow a backbone. Hopefully they will follow your example and tell them they are not interested. The next time they come ask them what they think about the child sex abuse lawsuits the the Watchtower is currently involved in, also the Australian Royal Cmision investigation into their handling of child abuse cases.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

May I ask how old you are?

If you are young, you can genuinely appear curious about some of the "strange" doctrinal topics.

"Why did Brother Russel use Egyptian Pyramids to arrive at certain dates?"

"Why did Brother Rutherford build a house for all the 'ancient worthies' to return to in USA?"

"Why has the organization published so many dates for the end of the system when Jesus told us NOT to?"

etc...

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    Once a JW has their hooks in you they can be harder to get rid of then an old stray dog. You have to learn to be firm and tell them NO I am not interested.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The thing for you to do is stop feeling awkward and to make them feel awkward

Yes! I think you would see how important to not let your family get in too deep. You have seen TTATT (The Truth About The Troof). You need to expose it to your family.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit