The power of an apology

by Gig 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Gig
    Gig

I regret that because I don't have my copy of Crisis of Conscience here I can't complete this post, but someone with a copy please assist me...Ray quoted an apology from the Worldwide Church of God after the passing of their "leader" Herbert Armstrong. It really struck me as courageous, responsible, and ever so appropriate given that Herb's teachings often were the same in nature as the WTS's.

If memory serves it's on page 271 or 272, if not you'll find only one reference to the Worldwide Church of God in the index. Someone please post that public statement here for everyone to see how a conscience comes rightly forward. It's purely sad to imagine that the WTS may never do any such thing.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

http://www.wcg.org/lit/AboutUs/media/forgive.htm

Forgive Us Our Trespasses

Joseph Tkach

AS REGULAR READERS of this magazine know, the Worldwide Church of God, sponsor of The Plain Truth, has changed its position on numerous long-held beliefs and practices during the past few years.

At the heart of those changes has been an acceptance that salvation is by grace through faith. While this was preached in the past, it was always coupled with the message that God owes us a reward for our works that build holy, righteous character.

For decades we regarded scrupulous adherence to the law as the basis of our righteousness. We attempted to relate to God through old covenant rules and regulations in our fervent desire to please him.

In his mercy, God has shown us that old covenant obligations do not apply to Christians who are under the new covenant. He has led us into the riches of his grace and a renewed relationship with Jesus Christ. He has opened our hearts and minds to the joy of his salvation. The Scriptures speak to us with fresh meaning, and we rejoice daily in the personal relationship we have with our Lord and Savior.

At the same time, we are acutely aware of the heavy legacy of our past.

The Holy Spirit is working today in the body of Christ to heal historic wounds and restore good relations between offenders and offended. It is my painful responsibility to acknowledge that the Worldwide Church of God has been among the offenders.

Our flawed doctrinal understanding clouded the plain gospel of Jesus Christ and led to a variety of wrong conclusions and unscriptural practices. We have much to repent of and apologize for.

We were judgmental and self-righteous—condemning other Christians, calling them "so-called Christians" and labeling them "deceived" and "instruments of Satan."

We imposed on our members a works-oriented approach to Christian living. We required adherence to burdensome regulations of the Old Testament code. We exercised a strongly legalistic approach to church government.

Our former old covenant approach fostered attitudes of exclusivism and superiority rather than the new covenant teaching of brotherhood and unity.

We overemphasized predictive prophecy and prophetic speculation, minimizing the true gospel of salvation through Jesus Christ.

These teachings and practices are a source of supreme regret. We are painfully mindful of the heartache and suffering that has resulted from them.

We've-been wrong. There was never an intent to mislead anyone. We were so focused on what we believed we were doing for God that we didn't recognize the spiritual path we were on. Intended or not, that path was not the biblical one.

As we look back, we ask ourselves how we could have been so wrong. Our hearts go out to all whom our teachings have misled in the Scriptures. We don't minimize your spiritual disorientation and confusion. We earnestly desire your understanding and forgiveness. We recognize that the depth of alienation can make reconciliation difficult. On the human level, reconciliation is often a long and difficult process over time. Yet we pray daily for it, realizing that the healing ministry of Christ can close even the deepest wounds. We make no attempt to cover up the doctrinal and scriptural errors of our past. It is not our intention to merely paper over the cracks. We are looking our history squarely in the face and confronting the faults and sins we find. They will always remain a part of our history, serving as a perpetual reminder of the dangers of legalism.

But we cannot live in the past. We must rise above our past. We must move on. We say, with the apostle Paul: "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:13-14).

We have set our minds and hearts on Jesus Christ and trust explicitly in him. I have never been more thrilled about the state of our fellowship! We are pooling our energies and moving forward in preaching the gospel worldwide and equipping our local congregations to be healthy examples of the body of Christ. We are using the spiritual gifts we have been given and capitalizing on the intense dedication to Jesus Christ—now rightly channeled—which has long characterized our church.

So we stand today at the foot of the cross—the ultimate symbol of all reconciliation. It is the common ground on which estranged and alienated parties can meet. As Christians, we all identify with the suffering that took place there, and we hope that identification will bring us together.

We desire to meet there with anyone we may have injured. It is only by the blood of the Lamb and the power of the Spirit that we can put the hurts of the past behind us and move forward toward our common goal. I have expressed these sentiments in sermons and letters in recent months, but I wanted to restate them for our Plain Truth readers.

So to all members, former members, co-workers and others—all who have been casualties of our past sins and mistakes of doctrine—I extend my sincerest heartfelt apologies. And I invite you to join us in proclaiming the true gospel of Jesus Christ around the world—as even now God is blessing us with renewed growth and vigor in his service.

Joseph Tkach, President

Published in the March/April 1996 Plain Truth

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

This comment caught my eye:

We were judgmental and self-righteous—condemning other Christians, calling them "so-called Christians" and labeling them "deceived" and "instruments of Satan."

Sounds very familiar. But I think it will be a cold day in Brooklyn Bethel before we ever see a statement similar to this coming out of the WT.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Wow, if you take out the reference to the "old testament", then this could be, and in fact should be, written by the Society.

I wonder if they will ever have the sense and the guts to write a letter like this?

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I have extreme doubt that the wbts ( gov. body ) will ever be humble enough to issue a statement like this.

It seems that all of those in charge, from most elders to the ones in bethel, are incapable of even considering such an apology.

Their false prophecies, lies, deceptive use of scriptures, the total intelectual dishonesty, and the resulting tragedies caused by this conduct, has backed them into a corner that leaves them no way out. I think an apology like the one posted here, would result in the total destruction, of the wbts.

I really do, hope they will apologise, but doubt it will happen.

Outoftheorg

• Gig
    Gig

THANKS NATHAN

Millions now living may never see anything like that from the WTS.

• Francois
    Francois

I agree that millions now living will never hear anything of the sort from the WTBTS.

HOWEVER. Can you imagine the effect if such a thing did happen?

Can you imagine what would happen if the WTBTS:

Abandonded the entire scheme of emotional extortion called disfellowshipping?

Abandonded the unscriptural blood teaching?

Abandonded the artificial division of the children of God into remnant and O.S?

Abandonded protecting, harboring, and shielding pedophiles and with it the two witness rule as they apply it to cases of pedophilia?

Abandonded the absurd door-to-door work?

Abandonded the greed that certainly motivates them?

And, not least,

Issued a heartfelt apology in the same manner as Nathan's quoted one above, proving its sincerity by actually "turning around" from the sinful, false, man-made teachings here in my post (and enhanced by items you feel are important for them to change)?

Can you imagine? The WTBTS attempts to puff up its numbers via all sorts of techniques, like the 15 minute publisher, counting little kids as publishers, etc. It would have to do none of these things if it would reform itself.

I won't be holding my breath. It takes an adult, a full-grown, responsible adult to make an apology. It is a sign and indicator of great personal strength to apologize and to change. I don't believe the WT has got the right stuff.

francois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit