New Shunned VIDcast #3 - Comparing Ourselves To Others

by dubstepped 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Just released a new VIDcast on the Youtubes for "shunned" about comparing ourselves to others. You have to at least watch the first 30 seconds for my sweet sweet new theme music.

In this VIDcast I drop a sweet new theme song, followed by a serious discussion of how we view ourselves and our stories after leaving the cult of Jehovah's Witnesses. Comparison isn't typically healthy, and I discuss how it goes awry and how we can help give proper weight to our experiences.

Subscribe to my podcast here, on iTunes, Google Play, your podcast app of choice, and/or visit my site at http://shunnedpodcast.com for more information.

https://youtu.be/qo0n69vMe-o

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Cheers Mike!

Really appreciate your work!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Lets talk about Cults! hahaha!

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I'm pretty sure that Hollywood will come calling any day now as my skills as a producer increase. Audio and video, I can do it all, lol.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

I watched it earlier this evening! Interesting point about how we tend to diminish stress/pain/suffering/tragedy by comparing ourselves to someone who has it worse. Because there's always somebody who had it worse than the person who had it worse than you... and so on, and so forth. Total light bulb moment for me when you said, "so, what - is only the person at the bottom of this unfortunate pile - are they the only person that counts and everyone else is... of no consequence?"

On the flip side, sometimes the only thought that can get me through a bratty day with WHAM! Jr is: at least he's not kidnapped, or at least he's not fighting a life threatening illness... And then I gratefully scrub the chunky sh*t stain off the carpet, lol.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Well, everything changes when you have kids. Mere surviving, not thriving, is the expectation sometimes and if you compared yourself to other parents (and they were honest and not putting on airs) you'd probably find that most of your experiences are normal.

Comparing ourselves is so difficult. I see people on Facebook and I'm like wow, I wish I had their life. Not really. We know the ugly parts of our lives. We end up comparing our lowlights to someone else's highlights. Or our internal game to someone else's external game. We all know from being in a cult that outward appearances can truly fool people.

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

This is a great video! I never thought about the irony of not comparing ourselves with others and the hard core experiences that were supposed to inspire us to do more.

There's so much to ponder and sift through when you're a born in. There were so many subtle things that influenced the way we thought and behaved and for me personally, I'm just becoming aware of it now after almost a decade of being out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit