Blade Runner - the new movie

by days of future passed 9 Replies latest social entertainment

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I went to see Blade Runner 2 because I liked the first one. Even tho the first one was I think rated R, I still saw it. The whole atmosphere of the first one was bizarre and real to itself.

If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read on.

With high hopes, despite hearing that it tanked at the box office (are the critics crazy?) I sat through 3 hours of sometimes interesting, cool locations and sets, sometimes too loud music. At least 3 or 4 times, I wanted to grab a remote and skip thru the movie but alas, I had to wait out the slow parts.

An hour could have been cut out and you wouldn't have missed it. So as you can guess, I was a little disappointed with how it turned out. In fact, more than once I thought to myself, if this is the future I'm glad I won't be there. I'm not sure if I should do a run down of the plot or not.

Here are some of things that annoyed me. Long stretches of time where nothing happens except a glance or two. Or loooonnnngggg shots of sets. What is it with all these giant naked lady statues, some with high heels? Does naked ladies ala holograms make for a better picture? No. It seems more a desperate attempt to make the movie "shocking" ???? It all seemed pointless. And then there is the bad guy that is the typical delusional madman with a god complex plus money. Boring.

There are places shown that were in the original movie. Harrison Ford and a computer generated Sean Young.

The positives were some of places. The right arm of the Madman is a tough replicant that is pretty scary. Ryan Gossling is ok considering he is a replicant that doesn't show much emotions.

Considering that I wanted to fast forward several times and one person in the theater was snoring half way thru, I wouldn't recommend it except to die hard Blade Runner fans.

Has anyone else seen it?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes, plodding and ponderous, with not much to ponder. When they crushed the file making "Joi" underfoot, I thought so what. Harrison Ford looked as tired and weary as his audience about the whole thing.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The movie sucked!

• freddo
    freddo

Emperor's New Clothes.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I am a huge fan and student of the original Blade Runner. I have seen 4 of the 5 versions (I need to see the work print). I've also read "Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner" which is a must read.

If you are not a fan of Blade Runner, which there seems to be just as many haters as fans, you will most likely not enjoy Blade Runner 2049. In addition, if you have not watched the short films Blade Runner 2022, 2036, and 2048 you will not get the full effect of the film.

Blade Runner 2049 did not have the same feel as the original, but it was similar. This is in part two things - 1) the blackout of 2022 started a sort of nuclear winter. This is why it's snowing instead of raining all the time. It also effected the cityscape as well. 2) CGI over practical effects. CGI has killed the visual of all movies. Nothing can replace practical effects.

Story wise, Blade Runner 2049 makes sense.

It's not as good as the original, but nothing could ever be. If you read Future Noir you'll see why.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

How the people involved can't recognize they've lost their way is beyond me. Don't they sit in an empty theater and watch it before it is released? Don't they poll people? Maybe because the audience fell asleep and couldn't be asked their opinion - the producer was left with their own rose colored opinion. Or did he think at the end, Man I spent so much money and time on this movie, if I edit any out, it will look like I'm an idiot.

I don't know about anyone else, but I kept waiting for Harrison to reach over and just kill that guy while he sat talking to him. You know, like Indy did to the sword swinging guy. Would have ended it right then and there. What would the lady replicant have done then? Without a leader, would she have been confused and passive?

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

I saw the movie and I thought it was aesthetically beautiful but I did feel lost while watching it, I hadn’t seen the first once so I didn’t really know the significance of Sean Young’s character and all that. I plan on seeing the first one and then watching 2049 again. Definitely loved the film score and the outfits, the feel and look of the movie, just a little lost from not being able to connect the first one with this one

• glenster
    glenster

"Everything Wrong With Blade Runner In 17 Minutes Or Less" by CinemaSins
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfQvngEXob4

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Adored the original - 5 out of 5.

Had been looking forward to 2049.

Saw the review number and was jacked.

Big disappointment.

I only liked the music.

2 out of 5.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Blade Runner was based on Phillip Dick's "Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep?" But if you read the book, you'd know it wasn't followed in the movie. Just the basics.

I liked the first Blade Runner because there was more interaction between the characters. Even tho the replicants could ruthlessly kill, there was still a sadness and a feeling of loss when they died. They were slaves with a limited life span trying to find answers and live. So they weren't really the bad guys but Harrison was supposed to hunt them down.

The new movie does have great visuals but lost that uneasy thread of the story.

If you've watched the movie, what did you think of the scene where K and the tough lady replicant were looking thru records? When he asked about the voice recording and she said that Sean Young was interested in Harrison because she was asking him questions to provoke him. Didn't the lady replicant begin to do the same to K, but he shut her down? She asked "Do you like Police work?" He just continued on. If they had just gone down the road a little more on this, it would have been interesting. It would have made that little stomping of the travel device for his virtual girlfriend, a show of jealousy. Oh well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit