Homework Help Please

by duckie 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• duckie
    duckie

Hi everyone,

I am at my boyfriends house this weekend and his 11 year hold daughter has a homework project, she needs to make a wall chart with interesting bits about the human body, like, "the larget organ in the body is the skin".

Can anyone help with interesting facts about the human body, true facts and not smutty?

Thanks

duo

• Buster
    Buster

most active organ: the brain - like when it wonders why someone uses such a topic for their first post in this forum?

• Simon
    Simon

I was all set to type ... and then you added that "and not smutty" bit ...

Men's nipples are 9" apart. This is an amazing fact that baffles me to this day (I read it and of course had to measure mine ... yep, 9" !)

• Buster
    Buster

okay, maybe not the brain. I just noticed the signature, "duo." DownUnderandOut, our Aussie friend?

But why did you start a new ID?

And all human eyes are the same size.

• duckie
    duckie

I know, my user name changed, now that is one of the worlds mysteries, Simon, any idea how that happended, oh and Simon, have to go and measure my boyfriend nipples now!

DUO

• duckie
    duckie

Ok so I measured and they were 10" apart... but then again my man is bigger than most !

But now he wants to measure mine!

so simon how do I get a private message to you?

DUO

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

mens nipples are 9" apart? nine inches you say??? geez simon, things must be getting crowded in England

uncle'not another man within cooee of here'bruce

ps: geez the things they teach little girls nowerdays

• Faraon
    Faraon

Although she should be doing her own homework, this may help your niece:

From http://www.education-world.com/a_lesson/lesson065.shtml

· more than half the bones in the human body are in the hands and feet?

· the highest recorded "sneeze speed" is 165 km (102 miles) per hour?

· the heart beats about 3 billion times in the average person's lifetime?

· a newborn baby has 350 bones, but a fully-grown adult has only 206?

· blood is a liquid organ?

· everyone is colorblind at birth?

· the surface area of the lungs is approximately the same size as a tennis court?

· food will get to your stomach even if you're standing on your head?

· skin is the largest body organ?

· the average adult is made up of 100 trillion cells?

From http://www.pediatriconcall.com/KidsCorner/trivia/trivia2.asp?pgno=2

· Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.

· If you fart consistently for 6 years and 5 months and 4 days, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

· Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying.

· The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet

· A "hairbreadth away" is 1/48 of an inch.

· Food passes through the small intestine in just two hours; zipping along at 0.002 mph. Inside the large intestine it takes about 14 hours, traveling at a more leisurely rate of 0.00007 mph..

· The average human has as much hair as the hairy primates, but only it is short and fine.

· Each hair on the scalp has a life span of about three years. Eyelashes have a life span of about 150 days.

· The soft down-like hair of the newborn sometimes reappears on the body of the aged.

· We blink every 2- 10 seconds.

· Each blink lasts for 0.3-0.4 seconds.

· An infant does not blink at all in the first few months of life.

· A child can bring its eye inwards towards the nose to focus on an object just 3 inches from its face. By the time an adult is 30, the closest distance that he/she can focus under these circumstances is 5 and a half inches

· The human head contains 22 bones

· Human body smell is as distinctive and individual as a fingerprint and is unique to family groups.

· Red blood cells live for about 120 days.The human brains consists of more than 100 billion neurons (nerve cells).

· The nerve impulses travel at more than 400 km/h (250 mph).

· The average human has much hair as the other hairy primates, but only it is short and fine.

· It takes about 20 seconds for a red blood cell to circle the whole body.

· The brain consumes more energy than any other organ (one-fifth of the total food we take in).

· Within a tiny droplet of blood, there are some 5 million red blood cells.

· Every second, 5 people are born and 2 people die- a net gain of 3/second.

· Each human hair on the scalp has a life span of about three years.

· A camel can lose up to 30 percent of its body’s water in perspiration and continue to cross the desert. A human would die of dehydration after losing only 12 percent of body’s water.

· Like a finger print, every person has a unique tongue print.

· The heart is the strongest muscle in the body. It pumps the blood throughout the body for the entire lifetime.

· There are on average 32 million bacteria on every square inch of the human body.

· Fingernails grow faster than toenails.

· Fingerprints apart from being used for identification provide traction for the fingers to grasp things.

· If the small intestine is stretched, it would elongate to a length of 22 feet.

· You will die of carbon dioxide poisoning if you are locked in a completely sealed room rather than oxygen deprivation.

· It takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 muscles to frown.

· While chewing, jaw muscles provide about 200 pounds of force to bring the back teeth together.

· An average human being loses about 40 to 100 strands of hair a day.

· Orange juice helps the body absorb iron more easily.

· A person will die from total lack of sleep sooner than from starvation. A person can survive upto 10 days without sleep, while he can survive for a few weeks without food.

· The thumb has a separate region reserved for it in the brain.

· The air released from a sneeze can exceed the speed of 100 mph.

· The heart is about the same size as your fist.

· Cornea is the only part of the human body that has no blood supply. It takes oxygen directly from the air.

· Most people lose half of their taste buds by sixty years of age.

· The human heart beats on an average - 70 beats per minute. By the age of 70, the human heart will beat some two-and-a-half billion times.

· Ancient Romans had a room especially for throwing up -called a vomitarium. If they felt like puking during dinner, they would go in there, throw up and then carry on eating.

· 85% of the human brain is water!

· The longest word is English language is pneumonoultramiscroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis - an inflammatory lung disease caused by the inhalation of fine silica dust.

· The most difficult tongue twister in English language - "sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick".

· Varicella is also known as chicken pox. One theory states that it was so called because of the mildness of the disease compared with other poxes. An another hypothesis is that it was so named because the lesions resembled chick-peas.

· Fingerprints appear in a fetus by the age of three months.

· The average human body contains:

iron to make a 3 inch nail

sulfur to kill all fleas on an average dog

carbon to make 900 pencil

potassium to fire a toy cannon

fat to make 7 bars of soap

phosphorous to make 2,200 match head

and water to fill a ten-gallon tank.

· For a fingernail or toenail to grow from base to tip, it takes about 6 months.

· Sartorius is the longest muscle in the human body. It helps in sitting cross-legged. Its name is derived from the word "sartorial" - the traditional cross-legged position of tailors (or "sartors") at work.

• duckie
    duckie

Thanks everyone,

Faraon, thanks heaps, and thanks for the websites, I have given her the websites for her to do some of her own research.

DUO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit