The bridge burning has begun.

by sparrowdown 72 Replies latest jw friends

• Island Man
    Island Man
    "I rang my sister and told her that I no longer believe JWs have the truth and the phone went silent, when I asked her to say something she just said if that was the case then she would have to hang up on me and then proceeded to indeed hang up."

I think her response highlights the ugly truth about the JW religion. When you really get down to it, it's really not about worshiping and serving Jehovah. It's about the pride of being special, the grandiose thought and religious prestige of being the only true religion.

So when you say that you no longer believe that JWs have the truth, that's a hard blow to their narcissistic religious pride. It pains them more to hear you say that than if you had said that you no longer believe in God. That's why they hate defectors from their religion more than they hate atheists. Defectors assail their true god - pride of religion.

The JW religion is a tribal one and that's why JWs support their tribe (the organization) at all cost. They will lie and they will deny facts in a bid to be loyal, die-hard supporters of the tribe. It's just like die-hard supporters of a sports team. Supporting the team is more important than the game itself. They will hate a team that beats them fairly and make all kinds of excuses and rationalizations for why their team lost. In extreme cases they even attack supporters of the winning team. Tell such a die-hard fan that you don't like the game of soccer. But don't tell him that his team sucks. It's the same with JWs.

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

I don't know your previous relationship with your sister but everyone here seems to be cheering you on for what you did. It is good to be true to yourself but I wouldn't have done it the way you did. It seemed like all it would do is make tension.

Perhaps visiting her in person and having her sit down before her telling her the news might have braced her for the announcement and maybe would have created some compassion and understanding from your sister. Maybe not. I also don't like obscenities being sent in texts but perhaps I am old fashioned.

I hope you can find unconditional friends you can spend time with. That takes time and energy and isn't as easy as one gets older. Welcome to the rest of your life...enjoy it.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Sparrow

sorry my mind is always in the gutter...

• Stealth
    Stealth

Congratulations sparrowdown!

"It takes courage to endure the sharp pains of self discovery rather than choose to take the dull pain of unconsciousness that would last the rest of our lives." - Marianne Williamson

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

There is no easy or right way to let your loved ones know you no longer drink the kool-aid, but it is necessary in order to break free and start living your new life.

You will probably go through a roller coaster of emotions but in the end you will be greatful for the freedom.

Hopefully your sister will come around to the fact that you no longer believe what she does. I have one sister that is wonderful and a mother and brother who are very wishy washy. Try to not take it personally, they are doing what they have been programmed to do.

Your doing what is the right thing for you.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Island Man - "...when you say that you no longer believe that JWs have the truth, that's a hard blow to their narcissistic religious pride. It pains them more to hear you say that than if you had said that you no longer believe in God. That's why they hate defectors from their religion more than they hate atheists. Defectors assail their true god - pride of religion."

Wow.

I really think you're on to something, there.

x

Reminds me of another, older thread where the poster commented that he'd noticed that "being an atheist" wasn't actually on the list of official DFing offenses in the "Shepherd" book..

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Fantastic post Island Man! I've felt the same but you expressed it so beautifully. I bookmarked this just for your post. Love it!
  • Alive!
    Alive!

Island Man4 hours ago
    "I rang my sister and told her that I no longer believe JWs have the truth and the phone went silent, when I asked her to say something she just said if that was the case then she would have to hang up on me and then proceeded to indeed hang up."

I think her response highlights the ugly truth about the JW religion. When you really get down to it, it's really not about worshiping and serving Jehovah. It's about the pride of being special, the grandiose thought and religious prestige of being the only true religion.

So much truth in this nugget, a great post to ponder :-) - although a big issue for 'Lovers of Jehovah' is that Jehovah = the religion = everything the GB says. They wholehearted believe their loyalty is directed towards the 'Grand Creator of the Universe' - don't you think?

Sparrow - you must have reached the end of your tether - the tension is really terrible when you realise that's it's likely just a matter of time. Take care dear.

Your sister is probably heartbroken too - and she's a prisoner of the GB's directives.

(((( hugs)))

• flipper
    flipper
    SPARROW- You're a very brave and courageous person. It's an honor to have you here on this forum. If you ever need friends to chat with please feel free to PM me or my wife and we'd like to keep in touch. Dealing with fanatic JW relatives is a bitch for sure- I find more peace in my life when a lot of time goes by in between communication with my JW relatives. Hang in there, keep your chin up. Your life begins again in a positive way now
  • Sabin
    Sabin
    Go Sparrow, Go Sparrow, Good for you girl. The right way to get of a burning building is to go through any door with an exit sign above it, & that's what you have done. Be proud of your own courage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit