Jesus' body was raised.

by hooberus 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hooberus
    hooberus

The follwing scriptues are taken from the book of John.

2:18
    Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?
    2:19
    Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
    2:20
    Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
    2:21
    But he spake of the temple of his body.
    2:22
    When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

comment: Jesus' body was raised, not "disposed of" as the Watchtower teaches.

20:24
    But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
    20:25
    The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
    20:26
    And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
    20:27
    Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

comment: Jesus' body had wound holes, hense it was the same body that was nailed to the tree, not a different one as the Watchtower teaches.

• Xander
    Xander

Jesus' body had wound holes, hense it was the same body that was nailed to the tree, not a different one as the Watchtower teaches.

They actually have a rebuttal for that, but I honestly don't remember what it was.

As you note, this is an obvious problem for them. Either his resurrected body IS the same body, thus the resurrection is into the same body, or a new body is provided at resurrection, at which point no evidence of his death would still exist on it.

A real problem is case #1 because...well, what happens to those who died at ground zero Hiroshima or Nagasaki, or those who died thousands of years ago and their body has been reduced to particles spread by worms over acres. Surely, in these cases, the body could NOT be 'resurrected' in a slightly better condition than immediately before death (as is apparently the case w/ jesus's wounds) - it just doesn't exist anymore.

I think (IIRC) the JW explanation was that a new body WAS provided - hence, why it took so long for people to recognize him - and that the new wounds were a fresh miracle for Thomas to believe in the resurrection.

• artful
    artful

I recall that someone on this forum had pointed out that if Jesus physical body was not raised (as the WTS teaches), then the prophecy that Jesus made about raising the "temple of his body" never came true. Therefore, when the WTS teaches that Jesus physical body was not raised, what they are really saying is that Jesus was a false prophet!!
    Artful

• Navigator
    Navigator

Biologists will tell you that the body you have now is not the body you had 3 months ago, or last year, or 10 years ago. Cells and organs and even your skeletal structure are constantly renewing and replacing themselves. Yet, the skin cells on your body, though completely new, may reflect a faded image of a surgery you had 10 years ago. We are continually transforming our bodies. We all have a spiritual self and a material self. In referring to his life, Jesus said, "No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down and I have power to take it up again". Of course, the left brained Pharisees thought he was insane. Because of his "connected consciousness", Jesus claimed the power to enter and leave his material body. This is not so strange as it might seem and has been demonstrated by many "spiritual adepts" or Yogis in India. Was the body Jesus appeared in the same one that he was crucified in? It depends on how you view matters. Jesus was probably able to do in a couple of days that which we take months and years to do, namely transform or renew our flesh bodies.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Navi

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Whoops..

Navi;

This is not so strange as it might seem and has been demonstrated by many "spiritual adepts" or Yogis in India.

Oh yes? Under scientifc conditions? Repeatably?

You can believe what you want to believe, but giving x as an example of how something can happen, when x has not been proven to happen, is not a very methodical or relaible way of assembling a worldview.

• Faraon
    Faraon

Navigator,

Biologists will tell you that the body you have now is not the body you had 3 months ago, or last year, or 10 years ago

Which biologists?

Some cells are replaced but others continue for life since conception.

• Carmel
    Carmel

so according to john, jesus was 46 years old? or at least his body was?

caveman

• hooberus
    hooberus

No carmel, the Jews thought that he was talking about the Jerusalem temple which took 46 years to build. But Jesus was talking about his body.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit