Wt article on Memorial

by blindfool 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blindfool
    blindfool

I just read the WT article posted by plmkrzy. Thanks plm, very interesting.

A couple of things I don't understand. If followers with an earthly hope are not parties of the new covenant, then by what means are they forgiven and by what means is their hope based?

Jesus said very plainly, "I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the father except through me."

I have been around the JW's for 20 years now, and I still don't even come close to understanding how a JW, claiming to be a "true Christian", can say he isn't party to the new covenant.

Can someone explain this to me. If you aren't a party to the new covenant, but you believe you are Christian, then by what means is your salvation based?

Something else thats a pet peeve of mine. I understand a memorial being observed. But calling the memorial a celebration of the death of Jesus. Thats just wrong.

• Gopher
    Gopher

They say that it's "faith in the sacrifice of Jesus" that gains you forgiveness and a relationship with God, regardless of whether you are in the new covenant. Never mind that Jesus isn't your MEDIATOR if you aren't in the new covenant, according to their teaching.

As far as the "celebration" of the Memorial -- a better word would probably be "commemoration". Celebration does sound too light-hearted for something as serious as the Messiah's death. I guess they view it as a happy occasion because he was resurrected and so became responsible for everlasting life for his followers. But then wouldn't the RESURRECTION (Easter) be the appropriate time to celebrate? .... Oh, they don't celebrate Easter. That's right, never mind.

• blindfool
    blindfool

Gopher,

You hit the nail on the head. Celebration should be reserved for the resurrection. Observance or commemoration would be appropriate for Nissan 14(when his glory was seen, his justice love mercy and might) but not a celebration. Just my opinion. Sorry about adding the lyrics, just can't say Nissan 14 without that song coming to mind.

• Gopher
    Gopher

"Twas Nisan 14 when his glory was seen, his justice, love, mercy and might"... sounds like you were to a few of those "pass-the-bread" celebrations in your time?

Now you got that melody in my head. Stop it!

I drive a Nissan Sentra. In honor of the Hebrew month of Nisan.

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Celebration seems so morbid. Can you imagine how the apostles would feel if they saw each other celebrating Christ's death? If Mary M and some of the other women went to the market to buy fancy dresses and jewelry and cooked a big dinner and invited all the friends over to eat and drink in celebration of Jesus death? Or going to the local inn to eat and have some wine after leaving Jesus hanging up there? That is actually what Witnesses do on he memorial night, they go out and celebrate afterwards. I guess they are so desparate to say they celebrate something when "worldly" people ask them, the can say "oh yes we celebrate the memorial of Christ's death" This is so annoying! I like celebrating that he was born and was resurrected to life. It seems more natural to do that. Watchtower would rather have backward inside out type of worship. Kind of like the deemonz. EEWW how antichrist they are

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    You hit the nail on the head. Celebration should be reserved for the resurrection. Observance or commemoration would be appropriate for Nissan 14(when his glory was seen, his justice love mercy and might) but not a celebration. Just my opinion.

I agree with the word celebration being used in that context. It seems to be the typical way that a lot of JWs have interpreted it as well. Personally, I feel it was never a celebration of Jesus "death" but a celebration of his purpose and fulfillment. A celebration of "HIM" not his "DEATH"

That’s the way I have always viewed the "term" celebration"

There is nothing about death to celebrate, especially the kind of humiliating death he went through. I think the word "celebration" some how slipped off the right track somewhere down the line and has been on the wrong track ever since.

Many cultures, for example, still today have wakes for those who made an impact on their lives and party on the day of their death. It isn't a celebration of the fact that their loved one died, but a "celebration" if you will, of the life they led and what that meant to them.

plum.

• heathen
    heathen

The way I see it is that they were celebrating the jewish passover . The aposltles were not in effect celebrating the fact that jesus was going to die.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit