Door to door preaching work

by Moster 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Moster
    Moster

What is the .org's stance on Hebrews 8:11 using the NWT:“‘And they will no longer teach each one his fellow citizen and each one his brother, saying: “Know Jehovah!”* For they will all know me, from the least to the greatest of them." or the KJV "And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest."

Doesn't this scripture indicate that we are no longer required to "preach the good news"?!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I think JWs would say Hebrews 8:11 is designed for the millennial if not post-millennial era.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

The two WT Scripture Indexes for 1930 to 2016 give just three references:

Insight Vol 2 page 491; Watchtower 1934 page 131; Jehovah (book) page 190.

I understand the 1934 Watchtower was effectively 'reprinted' in the Jehovah book - so that's really just two actual references.

Insight Volume 2, page 491: Neighbor

In the Commonwealth of Israel. At Hebrews 8:11 a form of the Greek word po·liʹtes, “citizen,” appears in most Greek texts; some late manuscripts read ple·siʹon. Paul here quotes from the restoration prophecy of Jeremiah 31:34, spoken to those in the commonwealth of Israel: “‘And they will no more teach each one his companion [form of reʹaʽ] and each one his brother, saying, “Know Jehovah!” for they will all of them know me, from the least one of them even to the greatest one of them,’ is the utterance of Jehovah.” Paul applies it to the spiritual “holy nation,” “the Israel of God,” saying: “And they will by no means teach each one his fellow citizen and each one his brother . . . ” Here the flavor of the original languages is kept better by the expression companion (for reʹaʽ) and citizen (for po·liʹtes), rather than neighbor.—1 Pe 2:9; Ga 6:16.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit