What is the most bizarre counsel you received as a JW, from a JW?

by Funchback 180 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Funchback
    Funchback

There were many addressed to me.

For example, I once had a sister tell me I was gambling because I liked playing Skill Crane (the machine where you have to try to pick up prizes like stuffed animals) at the arcade. I then fired back a her: "You saw the R-rated movie 'Backdraft.' We're not supposed to watch R-rated movies." She told me I was playing a game of chance. She said her choice of movies was a matter of conscience.

I another one, I used to DJ JW "gatherings" and wedding receptions. I was playing a song called 'Girls Nite Out' by Tyler Collins. This brother came over to the turntables and said that by "playing this song, you are encouraging sisters to leave their husbands." smh

Please share some weird things you were counseled for.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    Winning money on a TV game show.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I was counseled for wearing a dress that showed my knees. I was told that it was distracting to the men who were on the stage.

I was 12 years old.

• skin
    skin
    From an Elder: "That if we came to every meeting, (on average we missed 1 meeting every 2 weeks) our children would then sit quietly though the entire meeting".
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Counsel suggested to a sister with very long hair (about waist length) that her (hair) grooming was "immodest".

WTF?

Doc

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Among other things, I'm a songwriter.

I once wrote a song with a lyric referring to a dream I had. A "brother" once condescendingly said, "We don't have prophetic dreams you know!"

I said, "What are you talking about? I have dreams every night!"

I should have know then: It's a cult!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

James Mixon - You won money on a TV gameshow? I can imagine that the nosy, but jealous brothers gave you counsel on that.. I know a former sister that won some money (not the big prize) on the $100,000 Pyramid, matter of fact you may have heard of her too, Gloria Naylor, she's an author and wrote several books including Brewster Place which was made into a TV movie. This took place in the 1970's when she was on the show, she used to go to the Cong, that shared the KH with my Cong. She left da troof about five or so years after being on the show, so good for her. I'm sure you can imagine how the nosy sisters (and brothers) whispered behind her back about being on TV and winning money and being a regular pioneer just don't mix !!

• out4good4
    out4good4

Oh....I have a ton of those

I have a mother-in-law that threw out all the products she had that had the old proctor and gamble logo on them because some nitwit elder convinced her they were demonic.

Smurfs = little demons.....

Witness relatives who grew up enjoying watching I Dream of Jeannie but would not watch Bewitched.....

WTF!!!!!

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl
    In a pioneer car group in the mid-2000s, in the dead of winter and suffering from inescapable boredom, I decided to churn up a conversation about winter hobbies. I figured the stodgy group of post-menopausal elderettes would not possibly find anything to nitpick about bird feeding. I was promptly admonished that feeding birds in the winter isn't good because "it makes the birds lazy."
  • Funchback
    Funchback

Oh my goodness!

The above posts are cracking me up!

One time, this CO name Anthony Conti...he was a salty old man...admonished me for saying that I was going to ride "shotgun" in the field service car group. LOL!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit