Does anyone remember

by RedhorseWoman 6 Replies latest jw friends

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

the article in an older Watchtower where JWs were warned against investing in the stock market because it was considered by the Society to be gambling?

I know that I either read this article or read about this article--possibly here--but there is still no search capability and I haven't been able to locate it.

Or....did I just confuse this with something else?

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Oops....wrong forum. Simon, could you move this to the general forum. Thanks.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

that would fairly old, I think, if it exist.

We have argued here, and on Witnet, about the WT allowing stock investing, while disallowing all gambling.

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

RHW, I do vaguely remember reading that article. It would have been written before 1993, I think, as that is when I pretty much stopped attending meetings on a regular basis and I never read the mags after that.

RCat

• blondie
    blondie

Based on the WT-CD, articles not on the CD but mentioned in the index:

10/22/61 Awake pages 21-24, propriety of investing

12/8/61 Awake pages 9-12, purchasing stock

2/8/62 Awake pages 22-3, propriety of investing

I don't have these volumes and no access to the KH any more. But I think it might be in those articles.

BlondieA

• Brummie
    Brummie

I remember reading an Awake back in the 80's that dealt with stocks and bonds and Wall ST..etc, I'd reckon it would be between 86-88, type in "Wall ST" into search on the WT CDrom, not much help huh.

Brummie

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have the Watchtower CD, and I generally have utilized the search function here to verify these things, but since the search doesn't exist right now I'm stuck. Those older ones you mentioned, Blondie, are probably what I'm looking for. I know that they were quite old, and the Society has, of course, changed their stance on this.

The only info I could pull up through Google is their latest article on this, which was published in 2000, stating that investing in the stock market was NOT gambling, although I know the earlier ones condemned investing as gambling. Total reversal on this....as usual.

You've given me some leads, though, and I appreciate it. Hopefully, someone will have saved the articles somewhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit