Xjws and alcyhol

by kwijibo 5 Replies latest jw friends

• kwijibo
    kwijibo

Do ex jdubs drink more?

I do and my df'd bro in law does definitely.

Do you think its a sign of a deeply troubled person or just cutting loose for a change?

Kwiji.

• Francois
    Francois

I think, and I think Professor Penton would agree, that active JWs are more likely to abuse alcohol than the population as a whole. This is because, IMHO, alcohol is the only vice allowed to JWs. And since it is a well-known substance of self-medication for stress, JWs go at it with a vengence.

In addition to alcohol, I think the JWs are more likely to be: alcoholic, drug abusers, spousal abusers, child abusers, trust abusers, and I think that pretty much covers each and every type of adult behavior which can be abused. In other words, if it can be abused, the JWs are in line to abuse it.

When you get out of the JWs you very well may be continuing the administration of alcohol as medication for the relief of stress. Do watch yourself, good sir, or you could have a real problem down the road. After finally getting out of the JWs, it would be such a shame to experience shipwreck just as you have discovered the harbor of peaceful, independant living absent the JW Orthodoxy Patrol.

Good Luck
    francois

• SLOAN
    SLOAN

Funny you should ask; I always thought that the Dubs drank A LOT!!!! I hardly ever touch the stuff now that I'm not a JW.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

From those that I've spoken with, I find that many use alcohol as a self medicating elixer. I know that in my early stages of departure, I drank a fair amount. Of course, this had more to do with the availability and price of alcohol as compared to other mood altering substances. I think that in my case, it was easy to turn to because I could convince myself that since I rarely ever got really drunk...(legal limits notwithstanding) that I wasn't displeasing god. The only thing that I feel really saved me is my recognizing that I was drinking because of what I was facing. Not only the stresses about religion, but worries about my child, my family, my career, and let's not forget living and then divorcing the psycho-bitch from hell.

Coon

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I was watching something on the discovery channel the other night about drinking . Basically , it said,,,, there are alarming rates of all ages, sexes, races, in this USA study that said, drinking is on the rise.

It was especially alarming for teenagers,,,,,,the statistics are going up in this age group every year.

When I was a very young JW, I am talking 9 or 10 years old, I used to sneak my dad's mogan david wine. I truly loved the taste and still do. But I could have been self medicating myself back then without consciencously knowing that,,,,,, I had trouble sleeping back then.

I do agree that many JW's drink or take prescription drugs to escape, but I think it happens that way in alot of religions and even in every walk of life.

• anti-absolutism
    anti-absolutism

I agree that a lot of dubs drink a lot... as for myself, I did as well, and then drank even more shortly after leaving, probably as a way to run from the added stresses thrown upon me after exiting.. (I'm not saying that that is a good thing, just being honest)..... but as I began to feel better about my place in life as a whole, though, my drinking became more under control.

If you are looking for advice, remember that you are definitely better off outside, no matter what control the Borg or family has over you, whether conscious or unconscious. That, IMHO, is a very big step to living a healthy life as a whole.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit