JW's - Better than others? Or ashamed?

by freedom96 4 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

I have read quite a few posts that describe witnesses as haughty, snotty, thinking they were so much better than others because supposedly they had the truth.

I try to remember, and I don't recall seeing that as much as many of them being downright depressed, shy, and appeared to be ashamed.

Myself, for one, was never one to announce to anyone that I was a witness. Certainly never held it over others, for I was always embarrassed. The idea never crossed my mind.

There of course were always the ones that thought that they were better than others, but I always chalked them up to being that way regardless of what religion they belonged to.

What did you notice? Were the majority snotty? Or maybe the opposite, quiet and ashamed?

• patio34
    patio34

I don't know if I could decide which was a majority. A lot depends on whom they were with. For instance, a group

But when alone, out amongst "worldlings," they are much more timid

Pat

• JH
    JH

I guess that not all congregations were alike. Most were normal, discrete. Some really acted as if they were superior.

I didn' t have many true friends there anyways, so I didn't mind.

• anti-absolutism
    anti-absolutism

I think the old saying, "there is strength in numbers" stands true here. When I sit back and think about my aquaintances in the JW group, it seems that if you were part of the "in" crowd, you were very self confident and seemed to exhibit a very strong "holier than thou" attitude.

If you were one of the ones who was on the outside looking in, it was depressing. Their "better than others" attitude came through less vigorously. I was one of the "outside people".

And yes it was depressing, because it basically meant that I was being shunned and that was only supposed to be saved for the "worldlings!!! It did make it easier to leave, though, seeing it from that way. I think more people leave that are on the outside of the tight knit groups, though, so I feel that my reward is being able to have a healthy spirituality afterwards.

Brad

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Dubs are loud when they`re with their own crowd,but can be very timid when they stand alone...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit