somebody

by somebody 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• somebody
    somebody

Good day to all my fellow JW.comers,

These are just some thoughts I had when reading the Bible yesterday ( yes, I still do that daily, believe it or not. ) .

Revelation 3:12 (NWT)

"‘The one that conquers—I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God, and he will by no means go out [from it] anymore, and I will write upon him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem which descends out of heaven from my God, and that new name of mine.

When Jesus prayed for his disciples, this is what he said in the following verses:

John 17:11,12 (NWT)

"Also, I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world and I am coming to you. Holy Father, watch over them on account of your own name which you have given me , in order that they may be one just as we are. 12 When I was with them I used to watch over them on account of your own name which you have given me; and I have kept them, and not one of them is destroyed except the son of destruction, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Can I get some opinions here? Does anyone else think that the "new name" Jesus was talking about in Revelation is Jehovah? If Jehovah is God's name, wouldn't that make sence? Is Jesus Jehovah?

Food for thought.

peace,

somebody/gwen

• Navigator
    Navigator

I would have some serious concerns about the accuracy of that quote. It has the ring of something that was added later.

• zev
    zev

Just for reference, here are the same two scrpitures from the online bible.

Revelation 3:12 :: New International Version (NIV)
    Revelation 3
    12 Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and
    I will also write on him my new name.

John 17:11,12 :: New International Version (NIV)
    John 17
    11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of
    your name--the name you gave me-- so that they may be one as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.
    new name? you have me thinking.
  • hooberus
    hooberus

yes, Jesus is Jehovah, so is the Father, so is the Holy Ghost

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hi gwen!

On the "new name" in Rev. 3:12--

either the name of "Jehovah" our righteousness; or rather the name of King of kings, and Lord of lords,--John Gill
    at present incommunicable and only known to God: to be hereafter revealed and made the believer’s own in union with God in Christ. Christ’s name written on him denotes he shall be wholly Christ’s. New also relates to Christ, who shall assume a new character (answering to His "new name") entering with His saints on a kingdom—not that which He had with the Father before the worlds, but that earned by His humiliation as Son of man.--Jamieson, Fausset, Brown
    For which see 2:17; 19:12,16. Christ himself will receive a new name along with all else in the future world (Gressmann).--Robertson

It is worth noting the original Greek: to onoma mou to kainon. There are 2 primary Greek words for "new," kainos and neos. Richard Trench (Synonyms of the New Testament, pp.219-225) discusses these, and points out that kainos represents something new in quality, neos something new in time, recent. Thus both Trench and W.E. Vine (Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words) discuss the "new name" in the sense of a re-newed, refreshed praise-worthiness of the resurrected and victorious Christ, along the line of thought expressed above by JF&B.

The Amplified Bible cross-references Isa. 62:2--

The nations will see your righteousness, and all kings your glory; you will be called by a new name that the mouth of the LORD will bestow.-NIV

The Septuagint translates this "new name" almost identically to John's phrase: to onoma sou to kainon. On this verse, Gill says:

This name is a new name; a renewed one, at the time of regeneration and faith, which was anciently provided in predestination, and bestowed in the covenant of grace; a renowned one, better than that of sons and daughters of the greatest potentates, and attended with various privileges; a wonderful name, an instance of marvellous grace in God, who stood in no need of adopted ones, and to them so unworthy of it; and which is ever new, and will always continue; this blessing of grace is of God...

Commentators offer so many possibilities for what this "new name" is, both in Revelation and Isaiah. I'm inclined to keep it simple, and assume that this new name is simply "Logos," with the deeper import and added dimension of Christ's triumph.

Navigator, you raise an interesting question re: this phrase possibly being spurious. Nestle-Aland's Novum Testamentum Graece footnotes that the "my" of "my new name" is omitted by a number of the so-called Koine manuscripts (text-recensions "which in Antioch and later in Constantinople attained general circulation [the so called Byzantine or Imperial text]...), including as the primary example the 11-th century codice 046. However, none of the modern Editors carry this over, suggesting that the variant reading does not hold up against the evidence of the 4-th century Siniaticus, 5-th century Ephraemi and 5-th century Alexandrinus manuscripts, all of which include the "my."

Craig

• Gerard
    Gerard

Grouds for the Trinity, I guess...

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

God with us

• Inserter
    Inserter

JEREMIAH 23:5

"See, the days are coming- it is Yahweh who speaks- when I will raise a virtuous Branch for David, who will reign as true king and be wise, practicing honesty and integrity in the land. In his days Judah will be saved and Israel dwell in confidence. And this is the name he will be called: Yahweh-our-integrity." The Jerusalem Bible

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit