Dumbstruck!

by Lost in the fog 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I am absolutely dumbstruck and lost for words.

One of the elders who criticised me over my use of social media rang me up to ask how I was doing.

After the usual blah-blah-blah I asked him if he had attended the recent elders one day school. He said that he had, and how marvellous it had been. Then he said, wait for it.

"Elders these days are so warm and inviting. We are not spiritual policemen looking into everything the publishers are doing. "

I almost choked myself to death holding my breath not saying anything incriminating in reply. Delusional for certain.

Sorry but I just had to share with someone.

• LV101
    LV101

Maybe the borg is going more Catholic -- after all they are successful and it's all about the buck.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Controlling information that associated members may say or write is a distinctive identity of a cult in action.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    "Elders these days are so warm and inviting. We are not spiritual policemen looking into everything the publishers are doing. "

So, he had to learn this by going to school? And what do you mean "these days?" What has changed?

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Legends in their own minds. I'm surprised you did not laugh out loud. lol

• steve2
    steve2

The size of their delusion is summed up in the smooth words, "We are not spiritual policemen."

Of course they aren't. Their major concern is everyone's wellbeing. They would never ask you how you are and then use the information against you. They would never think the worst of you if they overheard congregation gossip.

Elders, as imperfect as they are, are sweetness and light. Their number one loyalty is to your wellbeing, not to the 7 Governing Body males.

And any facts to the contrary should be ignored.

Oh, and I'm the Tooth Fairy. No, really; I am.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Thank you for your report Lost in Fog. I attended an elders school in 2003-4 that discussed at length the Shepherding program. I took away from the school that the GB was backing off of the official shepherding visits to include shepherding visits while in service, informal visits at the kingdom hall, before and after the meetings, on the phone etc.

As a member of the service committee, the P.O. called a meeting soon after the school which talked about shepherding visits. The other two on the service committee were adamant that the "congregation was not being shepherded properly" and that we needed to produce a program in addition to our current shepherding schedule to 'harass" the publishers. I asked them directly at the meeting if they attended the same "elders school" that I had attended because we had each went away with different ideas.

Over my protest, they presented to the body of elders a "new shepherding program" and during their presentation, they had the audacity to say that it was a "unanimous" decision by the Service Committee and the P.O even asked me to indicate that it was.

In front of all the elders present, I said, "No, it wasn't unanimous, and I do not agree with anything more than the scheduled visits that we have agreed to".

It wasn't long after that I had resigned as the other two service committee members had formulated accusations against me. I had the support of many of the elders, but the "liberals" wanted more control over the congregation's families intimate personal lives and I didn't want it. It was this moment that I began to wake up to the controlling entities within the congregation and their high control religion.

My Point: The way Watchtower presents their material at the elders meeting can be interpreted many different ways.

Be Careful of what you say.

• VW.org
    VW.org

If they could, some elders would be in your bedroom to see if you are doing it in the missionary position. Some might even want video for proof to be shown at the elders meeting.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    Lost In the Fog » After the usual blah-blah-blah I asked him if he had attended the recent elders one day school. He said that he had, and how marvelous it had been. Then he said..."Elders these days are so warm and inviting. We are not spiritual policemen looking into everything the publishers are doing."

I wish you had said, "Why do you say that? ... I mean, I'm not questioning what you're saying. I'm just wondering if there was something that happened at the Elder's School that made you say that?" I would'a loved to have heard the answer. It must have been something that happened at the school that caused him to say that.

VW.org » If they could, some elders would be in your bedroom to see if you are doing it in the missionary position.

In the JW.org it's called the "Publisher" position.

• zeb
    zeb

warm and inviting.. puke.. but the two witness rules remains.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit