Is the Society next?

by RR 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RR
    RR

Church to Take Donations on Charge Cards

Mon Feb 17,10:10 AM

STOCKHOLM, Sweden - Worshippers can now pay their church collection with a charge card — at least in one village in northern Sweden.

In Norrfjaerden, just outside Piteaa, 560 miles north of Stockholm, the church is offering its worshippers "a modern opportunity" to make a contribution.

"Many of the churchgoers are young people who do not carry with them any cash, but use cards," Pastor Karin Sandlund told The Associated Press on Monday.

"There are no automatic teller machines in Norrfjaerden. So when they arrive for the service on Sundays they've forgotten to bring something for the collection. That's why we thought we would offer them an alternative," she said.

Sandlund said she had often joked about fixing a card reader to the collection bag with her husband, who works for a bank in Norrfjaerden. "So we asked the church if it was OK to install a card reader in church, and they said we could test it for a year," Sandlund said.

"We thought it was time to give the younger generation an alternative," she said. "I think we will have followers. The church must keep up with things."

• AlanF
    AlanF

: Sandlund said she had often joked about fixing a card reader to the collection bag with her husband

Interesting. Her husband must be powerful sticky for her to contemplate using him that far.

AlanF

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Actually, I think they may receive some 'new light' on tithing. They won't "enforce" it the way some evangelical churches do (Oh the stories I've heard about the evangelical "World Harvest" mega-church in Columbus OH), but the suggestion will be thrown out there.

WT 12/1/2004 p. 23 paragraph 14

...However, some who work full time and aren't able to offer as much of their time in Jehovah's service may wonder how they too can 'bring in the tenth part'. After considering this matter carefully, a Christian may conclude that a monetary tithe may indeed be an appropriate way to show appreciation blah blah blah provisions blah blah blah faithful slave blah blah blah...

14. How might a Christian who isn't able to serve Jehovah full time 'bring in the tenth part'?

• Nowhere
    Nowhere

Actually, I've seen card-readers at JW convetions. And people used them to. JW:s are pioneers in finding new ways to get the money.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

This is nothing new, RR, it has been used in many countries outside of the narrow little world called the US, for many years, in Kingdom Halls as well as in convention halls. So the rest of the world, as usual, is years ahead of you US guys :-)

• RR
    RR

Hippie, you guys have MAC Machines in the back of the Hall too? ... lol

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Just a fax and a copier, I am sorry.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Actually, I think they may receive some 'new light' on tithing. They won't "enforce" it the way some evangelical churches do (Oh the stories I've heard about the evangelical "World Harvest" mega-church in Columbus OH), but the suggestion will be thrown out there.

You mean sort of like this?

*** w91 12/1 pp. 30-31 How Can We Repay Jehovah? ***

Honor Jehovah With Your Valuable Things

Of course, if a Christian voluntarily chooses to give a tenth of his income to advance true worship, there would be no Scriptural objection to his making such donations. In a letter accompanying his donation, a 15-year-old lad in Papua New Guinea wrote: "When I was little, my father used to tell me, ‘When you start working, you must give the firstfruits to Jehovah.’ I remember the words of Proverbs 3:1, 9, which say we must give the firstfruits to Jehovah to honor him. So I promised to do this, and now I must fulfill my promise. I am so happy to send this money to help the Kingdom work." The Bible does not call upon Christians to make such a promise. However, generous giving is a fine way to display keen interest in promoting true worship.

A Christian may choose to set no specific limit on donations he makes to advance the worship of Jehovah God. To illustrate: While at an assembly of Jehovah’s Witnesses, two elderly sisters were discussing donations that might be made to the Kingdom work. As to obtaining food at the assembly site, one of the sisters, who is 87 years old, asked how much it might cost so that she could donate that amount. The other sister, who is 90, said: ‘Just give what you think it is worth—and a little more.’ What a fine attitude this older sister displayed!

Since Jehovah’s people have dedicated their all to him, they gladly make monetary donations and other contributions to support true worship. (Compare 2 Corinthians 8:12.) In fact, the Christian way of giving provides opportunities to demonstrate deep appreciation for the worship of Jehovah. Such giving is not restricted to a tithe, or tenth, and there may be circumstances in which an individual is moved to give more to advance Kingdom interests.—Matthew 6:33.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit