Are you having to travel for medical help?

by compound complex 6 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings:

In this morning's paper, I read that many local health pros -- about 150 -- are losing their jobs. The huge medical establishments (sponsoring hospitals) expected to turn a profit but are, instead, losing money. Something to do with a "covenant."

Within a couple months, our labs, doctors' offices, etc., will close. My doctor confirmed this, just this morning.

How about out your way?

• LV101
    LV101

Hi CC

Something's been going on for awhile here. People find a primary doctor and wham -- they're gone. They move, retire or get out of the business which seems to be the biggest problem. I heard few yrs. ago that 62-64% of doctors couldn't make any money and they were leaving the profession. Seems hard to believe but I've known 3 here. Crazy. Most people just go to quick care if they need a doctor fast and those seem to be owned by hospitals.

We have some excellent doctors here but most aren't taking new patients and don't know when their waiting list will be available. Many left town or quit when their malpractice insurance skyrocketed years ago.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, LV101:

Golly, I guess it's a widespread problem. I've heard of doctors not taking on new patients, but this!

Nice hearing from you!

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

How about out your way?

The complete opposite. I work in academic medicine now, and the health system I work for keeps growing, acquiring private practices and other clinics, and opening a brand new hospital that will have robots to handle many task such as carrying medicine and sheets for rooms. I guess my health system has a good business plan (and billionaire donors).

• snowbird
    snowbird

Not too good here.

But, of course, this IS Alabama!

Sylvia

• sir82
    sir82

Don't worry - "very soon now" it will be "insurance for everybody".

At least that's what I was promised.

• LV101
    LV101

That's good news, sm1010 -- Scary losing doctors.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit