Just when I thought the cult's grip was loosening on my family. .

by nicolaou 8 Replies latest social family

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

My never a JW Dad tol me that my kid brother (32) is an Elder. It bothered me, I genuinely thought he was just going through the motions for the sake of his wife and our Mum.

Interestingly, Dad was annoyed that he doesn't see so much of my brother lately and that my Mum (uber JW) always makes excuses for him.

What a surprise.

• Giordano
    Giordano

There is a possibility that your brother will hear about and or actually see stuff that he senses or knows is wrong within the Elder body he serves with.

His dad and brother has exposed him to troubling questions and inconsistencies and those things may be more troubling to him as he sits in the belly of the beast.

On the other hand if it's his ego that is nourished he may go in the other direction.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

He's not ego driven Giordano, he's actually a bit introverted. I wouldn't be surprised if he felt somewhat pressured into this.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

It's interesting when these "men" become Elders. Some get a superiority complex. The Elder Body keeps the younger ones busy with the "rookie work." It's all of the crap the older ones don't want to do. We've seen this before. The rookie has to prove himself.

I watched my Brother become an elder early on. He became too good for the family and too busy taking care of the congregation. It's sad but it happens.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Nicalaou - I'm sure many here will testify that as soon as a "brother" exhibits the potential requirements to "join the team" of appointed men, elders will quickly begin to groom him very quickly.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

nicolaou, Like Giordano said, being an elder will likely expose your brother to the uglier side of the Borg.

My hubby, who is also an introvert, was an earnest elder who was never on a power trip. However, as an elder, he saw the backstabbing, favoritism, nepotism, egotism, etc. displayed by his fellow elders behind closed doors.

There were shouting matches at elders meetings. One elder was an alcoholic, one chocked his daughter and raped and beat his wife, one had an affair with a married sister with 3 kids, one was a scammer, and bilked elderly sisters out of tens of thousands of $.

The last straw was when he notified the body of elders and the CO that a brother they were considering to appoint an elder was arrested for pedophilia years before in another town. My hubby knew because he was distantly related to one of the victims. He even had an old newspaper clipping naming the brother as the accused. The brothers, the CO ignored hubby"s warning and appointed him. Hubby wrote the Society. They ignored him.

Seeing that awful scenario play out led to Hubby's permanent exit out of the cult. Maybe your brother will witness first hand TTATT.'

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Becoming an Elder is a lot like working at Bethel. There is a lot of "do as we say, not as we do." It is a huge awakening to anyone who actually wants to practice Christianity. Going through the locked congregation files and reading the letters from Bethel create as much doubt as reading Ray Franzes two books. It became obvious the "rot" started at the top.

3rd Gen forgot to add I sent the original police reports and interviews from SIX child victims to the local C.O. AND NYC Bethel (explicit and gross). Multiple newspaper clippings attached. (Got off on technicalities, investigation tainted by local elders, and key witness dead).

Five years later (after $$ large donations) the multiple child molester was an Elder giving Northern California district convention parts in Sacramento!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Thanks 3rdgen and Balaamsass2 for sharing that. We too have seen what a lot of "green handshakes" can do "blind" those that I truly believe are "good" elders an CO's.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Balaamsass, that is sickening!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit